Bryce Harper is pro-wave

Apr 30, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT

There has been something of a battle at Nationals Park between fans who like starting and participating in the wave and those who don’t. DC Sports Bog has a post up today talking about that. Including an anecdote that suggests the pro-and-anti-wave forces may be getting violent of all things. Yikes.

Into the fray struts Bryce Harper:

I hope he’s trolling his teammates who, by some reports, are fairly anti-wave. I have this feeling he actually likes the wave, though. Because that would be a thing a guy with a dog named swag would totally be into, bro.

As for me: eh. I think the wave is kind of dumb. I don’t participate in it if one breaks out where I am. But really, there are about a dozen dumber things that go on at a ballpark any given night, so I have a hard time getting too animated about it.

You wanna ban something at the ballpark? Ban bad pop music and classic rock before the game and between innings. Ban the “LET’S MAKE SOME NOISE” messages on the scoreboard. Ban ball girls whose only qualification for the job is their status as eye candy. Ban mascot races at every park except Miller Park. When you get to that stuff which, unlike the wave, is explicitly endorsed by the teams, cool, start on the wave.

1. tpintong - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I was pro-wave when i was in my early 20s and drank my weight in beer at the games. As a mid-late 30’s spectator, you kinda go more for the game, though it’s ok to have some fun when the situation is appropriate. if your team is up or down by like 8 runs or more (totally arbitrary number, but something that is for sure not a save situation) then do all the waves you want. But if its 2 on, 2 out, your team is behind by 2 or 3 runs, and you start the wave then , then you’re an ass, which is what happened to me at Yankee Stadium last tuesday.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I am with you tong. I was fun for a minute. But like you stated…there is a time and place for it.
      Close ballgame…don’t stand up in front of me. Let alone wave you arms like a moron.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:34 PM

you = your

EDIT FUNCTION!

• kollin7 - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Yeah that’s probably the biggest reason the wave bothers me. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it except for when it’s 4-3 in the bottom of the 8th with the tying run on.

2. pdubbstrem - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:29 PM

But if you ban the scoreboard prompts, Diamondback fans will be so lost during games.

3. kiwicricket - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Quite often at cricket matches the ‘wave’ is started to expel all the accumulated rubbish from around you. 6Hrs of lying on a grass embankment drinking beer and eating creates quite the bundle of debris.

As a student, we would bring whole fish to matches, Flounder mostly(seemed to be more aerodynamic?) and fling those into the night sky as the wave came round. They would often make their way to the other side of the stadium and into the roped off corporate tents by the end of the evening.

(Yeah, I went to school in a small town)

4. steelers88 - Apr 30, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Im 16 and I find the wave stupid!

5. scoregasmic - Apr 30, 2013 at 5:48 PM

People don’t like the wave? Why cause you’re too lazy to stand up? Yeah waves look stupid when people don’t join in, but one of my favorite memories is watching the packed house at comerica park during the playoffs do the wave, it was incredible. I love the wave and I don’t really understand why people would not like it. To each his own I guess…

6. piesfan1 - Apr 30, 2013 at 7:14 PM

The wave makes boring games exciting and gives fans something to do other tha.n leave the game

7. charlutes - Apr 30, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Wow, ban the wave and cute ball girls? Those ideas are awful. If you want to be introverted and pretend you don’t like to look at pretty lady’s no one is stopping you, why do you have to ruin life for the rest of us?

8. ironhorseblues - Apr 30, 2013 at 8:23 PM

ban the ball girls because they’re just eye candy? uh that’s the whole point, and the reason for their existence. you are out of your freaking mind! What’s next to be banned, NFL cheerleaders?… smh

• spellingcops - May 2, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Probably so. I’m sure they offend homosexuals.

9. moogro - Apr 30, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Ohhhhhhh. The Classic Rock. Nothing is more prevalent, pernicious and dispiriting. Nobody seems to even hear it anymore, but I do. Everywhere. Can’t there at least be a discussion about curbing it? A little bit?
    There’s no other option but to do the classic rawk? Really? For the foreseeable future? Forever? That’s a complete victory for totalitarianism, established ca. 1973.

10. Tim's Neighbor - May 1, 2013 at 1:53 AM

As a former racing mascot, I resemble that remark!

11. louhudson23 - May 1, 2013 at 4:55 AM

I cannot see the game better on TV. I can see closeups of balls landing in gloves,and throws leaving a players hand…but I cannot see the damn game. On TV, I cannot see a fielder fielding and throwing while the runner is busting his ass down the line.I can at the ballpark. On TV,I do not see the drama of a possible double play. I see a fielder field and throw off camera,then a jump cut to another fielder catching(with a running flashing into the shot) and throwing ,then a jump cut to the first baseman catching a ball,with a runners ass flashing by. No suspense,no flow,no perspective.On TV ,I cannot see a runner waiting to tag up,while the outfielder makes the catch and throws towards the base that runner is heading for and watch the play unfold before me. All l see on TV are disconnected close ups and jump cuts….perhaps a split screen of a tag up play at the plate,which involves a player running somewhere fast,a ball thrown somewhere by the isolated fielder,then a catcher receiving the ball while a runner suddenly appears. I assume this all happens in the same ballpark,on the same play,but on TV,it may well be an edited sequence for all the hell I know…..The technical masturbation of today’s baseball production is sickening to me . At the ball park, I see the game. I see the relationship between the ball,the players,the bases and each other. I see the game……At this point,the radio offers a better chance of enjoyment,as my imagination works better than the ultra closeup jerk fest that are most baseball telecasts. On the other hand,I find the inanity of the walk up music exercise to be equally abhorrent…please,if you must do it,only do it the first time through the order….

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win