Bryce Harper is pro-wave

Apr 30, 2013, 2:30 PM EST

There has been something of a battle at Nationals Park between fans who like starting and participating in the wave and those who don’t. DC Sports Bog has a post up today talking about that. Including an anecdote that suggests the pro-and-anti-wave forces may be getting violent of all things. Yikes.

Into the fray struts Bryce Harper:

I hope he’s trolling his teammates who, by some reports, are fairly anti-wave. I have this feeling he actually likes the wave, though. Because that would be a thing a guy with a dog named swag would totally be into, bro.

As for me: eh. I think the wave is kind of dumb. I don’t participate in it if one breaks out where I am. But really, there are about a dozen dumber things that go on at a ballpark any given night, so I have a hard time getting too animated about it.

You wanna ban something at the ballpark? Ban bad pop music and classic rock before the game and between innings. Ban the “LET’S MAKE SOME NOISE” messages on the scoreboard. Ban ball girls whose only qualification for the job is their status as eye candy. Ban mascot races at every park except Miller Park. When you get to that stuff which, unlike the wave, is explicitly endorsed by the teams, cool, start on the wave.

1. goskinsvt - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:34 PM

“JW just said “Nothing cooler than seeing a packed house do the wave” #Nats”- Bryce Harper

There is no chance Jayson Werth likes the wave. This has got to be trolling. God please let it be trolling.

• evanwins - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Packed house at Nat’s Park? When was that? When the Phillies are in town?

The Wave is for doucher’s. Which is proven by Bryce and Werth liking it. It’s a football thing and most baseball parks don’t even have the continuos seating necessary to perform the wave correctly.

• kollin7 - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:42 PM

How about we just not perform the wave at all?

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM

“It’s performed mainly by baseball game tourists who cheer loudly on shallow fly balls thinking they’re home runs.”

Ummm…no. No it isn’t. Look…as I said previously, the wave is silly.
        But your posts are starting to scream “doucher.”

• goskinsvt - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:43 PM

lolol

2. blues1988 - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:36 PM

just as bad as the “let’s make some noise” messages is the “noise-o-meter”, that was only cool when i was young and thought it was real.

3. goskinsvt - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Ian Desmond also struts in

• kollin7 - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Hmmm, perhaps Harper and Desmond aren’t trolling and are just trying to become fan favorites of idiots.

• 18thstreet - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Yeah, G-d forbid someone do something that convinces casual fans to come to games and enjoy themselves. /s

• kollin7 - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:19 PM

True, but couldn’t they attract enough people by saying “Hey come see the Nats play, so you can say you saw Bryce Harper play when he was 20.” and stuff like that.

4. kollin7 - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Knew this article was coming when I saw that tweet.

Wouldn’t put it past Harper to actually be pro-wave (what an asinine term that is), but I’m pretty sure he is trolling, because his next tweet said something along the lines of “Jayson Werth said, ‘There’s nothing better than a good wave.’ “

• kollin7 - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Just wanna assure that I was typing out this comment before goskinsvt made his comment saying pretty much the same thing, but including the actual tweet.

5. simas - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:37 PM

You explicitly stated on twitter the other day that you were trying to start the wave, but your girlfriend wouldn’t let you because you’re a manchild who needs constant supervision. Some of that may be made up, but the gist is the gist.

Don’t play unbiased speculator with me, Calcaterra.

• Craig Calcaterra - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:41 PM

If everything I said on Twitter was literal I’d be quite dead by now.

• apmn - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Soooo….you don’t really have a girlfriend?

6. number42is1 - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:43 PM

“Ban ball girls whose only qualification for the job is their status as eye candy.”

WHAT?WHY?NO! why would you say such things?

• indaburg - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Craig is not your friend. He’s a bad man.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:36 PM

“Some of those that work forces, are the same that burn crosses.”

7. jwbiii - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:44 PM

But is @Dannyespinosa18 impressed?

8. pestiesti - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:46 PM

WAH! Someone is enjoying a game differently than me!

• kollin7 - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Yeah, I guess us fans who are actually there to watch the game just have to accept that most people are there to get drunk and make asses out of themselves by doing the wave, and yelling “TWOOOOO” during shuffle games on the jumbo-tron.

• pestiesti - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I’ve found it possible to both watch a baseball game and enjoy between-inning shuffle games on the jumbotron.

9. chacochicken - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I go to the ball park to have fun and watch a game. If someone wants to do the wave, great. Really, who the hell cares? You are aware than you can buy beer at the ball park, right?

• historiophiliac - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Mmmm, beer and wings…

• chacochicken - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM

You’ve got to stop coming on to me like this.

• historiophiliac - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I can’t help my chicken orientation.

10. Francisco (FC) - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Remind me to never invite you to a Winter Ball game.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Who said to ban ball girls? I have read through these posts three damn times I can’t find it.
      Who said. Better yet..which GIRL said it? Second thought…screw that.
      Philiac, Inda and Fearless would never say such a thing. I also don’t think Natslady would.
      I am starting to think Derek Jeter said it.
      After all…he is the 1st openly gay MLB player.

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Seriously? You found the part in Craig’s post where he doesn’t like the wave and but you didn’t find the part about banning ball girls as eye-candy?

• historiophiliac - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Don’t you try to blame that on me. Craig said it in the post.

• indaburg - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:23 PM

That was Craig! I have my eye candy (the boys, you know, playing the game). I do not begrudge you yours.

I’m telling you, Craig is a bad, bad man.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Lol! Look Man…I understand where you coming from. But read the paragraph just prior to that.
      Now do you understand? I read that paragraph…started foaming at the mouth and couldn’t post fast enough. Sorry. Jeesh!

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Don’t worry about it. I just wasn’t sure if you were yanking my chain or if you didn’t really see it. But be careful with all that foam man. People are gonna think you’re rabid or maybe worse, that you’re starting the zombie apocalypse and go for the jugular.

• indaburg - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Rage!

• indaburg - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:37 PM

You know something? Craig may have a point after all. Why can’t they hire eye candy that can also snare a foul line drive rather than scream “Eek! A ball!” You can be damned cute and know how to handle a baseball. Don’t tell me that in our great countries, we don’t have attractive girls that know their way with a glove.

• leerosenthall - Apr 30, 2013 at 5:12 PM

You have to be an experienced softball player to be a Phillies ball girl. Check out the job description from last year:

Requirements include:

Public relations skills: i.e. taken communications, broadcasting or public speaking classes
        Softball experience a must
        Strong interpersonal skills with an outgoing personality
        Knowledge of the game of baseball
        Flexible schedule – must be willing to work early mornings, nights, weekends, and holidays
        Must be at least 18 years of age

How do they get away with discriminating against GUYS who meet these requirements?

• indaburg - Apr 30, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I don’t know how they get away with it. Good point.

Interesting that they have such requirements for ball girls up in Philly. Here in Clearwater, the Phillies don’t have such strict requirements for Spring Training ball girls. Basically, I think the only qualification is:

Do you work at Hooters? (I am not kidding.)

The risk for injury to themselves and the players is still there though. Get a hot girl who can field. Problem solved.

11. rbj1 - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:56 PM

The wave is a clown stunt, bro.

12. shanabartels - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:59 PM

When I went to Fenway last Thursday, a pretty serious wave broke out during one of the late innings. I can’t say I’m surprised, given the behavior of some of the drunken idiots sitting near me — one guy behind me dared his friend to eat a hot dog in one bite. I didn’t feel like turning around to see if he actually attempted to do it. (Even if I weren’t an admittedly biased Yankees fan… I mean, come on. I have very little patience for moronic behavior in any city’s stadium, including my own in New York.)

What did amuse me was that Travis Blackley was on the mound and he kind of stepped off the rubber and gave the crowd the “I’ll wait” glare I usually only see from elementary school teachers whose classes won’t shut up and listen to the math lesson.

Sit down and watch the game, people. That’s what you paid to see. Not the wave.

• kollin7 - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Yes, but unfortunately a lot of people didn’t pay to see the game, they paid for the ballpark experience. And, again unfortunately, the definition of the ballpark experience has changed a lot since the glory days. The wave, “Let’s make some noise” graphics, etc. are now fundamental parts of the NEW ballpark experience.

• historiophiliac - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:38 PM

In all candor, you can often see better watching on TV at home. Going to the park is for the experience.

• evanwins - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I go to about 35 games a year. It is literally my favorite thing to do in the summer.

I don’t care how well you can see the game on TV. Half of my tickets are 8 rows behind home plate and I guarantee I can see pitches better than on TV. But you’re right, I go for the whole experience. I don’t drink so it’s not the beer.

The Wave bothers me and it bothers players, you can tell. It’s a football thing. Leave it there. Baseball is about concentration and focus and the wave is distracting. It’s performed mainly by baseball game tourists who cheer loudly on shallow fly balls thinking they’re home runs.

• historiophiliac - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:24 PM

That must be a nice life. I get to about 1 or 2 MLB games a year. I see a handful of the local MiLB games too. Don’t get to be part of the wave too much, but I find it infinitely less annoying than the kisscam or Jobu Bless America.

13. shaggylocks - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Wave-haters gonna hate. Seriously, I know sports are all serious and manly and you’re not supposed to have fun at all, but there’s something amazing about a crowd working together to do something that looks as cool as the wave.

When I took my niece and nephew to their first ever big league baseball game, the look on their faces when they saw the wave going around was priceless. It was the greatest thing in the world. I was teaching them how to keep score on the scorecard we bought at the gate and they were really getting the hang of it, but we lost track of it for about two batters. Best half-inning of the game, as far as I was concerned. (We just wrote “wave!” in the squares we missed).

Why do all you wave-haters hate making little kids happy?

• indaburg - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Aw, that’s cool. I was gonna kinda sorta hate on it. I don’t like it when there is some good action going on the field, men on base, scoring threats, and some drunk guy tries to start a wave. I can’t see the field. At the same time, that’s awesome about your niece and nephew. I remember how much fun I had at Shea as a kid doing the wave. Wave on. Wave on.

14. asimonetti88 - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Never realized how many stick in the muds there are on here. Lighten up folks, everyone enjoys the game differently.

15. mungman69 - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:18 PM

It’s ok to do the wave. It’s not ok to throw up on me. The dude lost his lunch then he lost a tooth. I’ll see you in court, idiot.

16. stlouis1baseball - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:28 PM

“As for me: eh. I think the wave is kind of dumb. I don’t participate in it if one breaks out where I am.”

You are the person I make fun of for not participating in the wave. Out of 175 people in our section YOU have to be the one not to participate? I mean…you can think it’s dumb C.C. Hell…I thinks it silly.
    I also think not participating in it (when the entire section is)…makes one look like a tool.
    A holier than thou…tool.

• jm91rs - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:36 PM

There’s a difference here though. A packed house is rare at the games I attend. Most of the time about 10 drunk kids get the wave started in the upper decks and by the end of the game it’s finally actually working a little bit. I love the thought of a full stadium all yelling and paying attention to the game and creating an electric atmosphere. If the wave helps create that then I don’t hate it.

But count me as another tool, because unless my kids beg me to stand up, I’m not participating in the wave. Most of the time when the stadium is half empty I find it distracting and annoying. It does nothing for the atmosphere, and people enjoy watching people stand up more than the game they paid good money to see.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Lol! Good post JM. And for what it’s worth…I am fully aware of the less than packed houses at your games. That is what allows me to sit anywhere I want for about $35.00.
        As for the wave…please know I was really just trolling C.C.
        I haven’t made fun of him in a while. It was time.

• stex52 - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Personally I don’t care much for the wave, SLB, but I don’t mind it too much going on around me. We are all there to have fun as long as we don’t disturb everyone around us. My only exception is that it clearly disturbs some pitchers. In that case, people should stop.

In the end it is still about the baseball.

17. ireportyoudecide - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:31 PM

We’ve waited long enough. Bring back crystal clear Pepsi.

18. DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:35 PM

If I were Nats fan, I would be ready to FLIP OUT that these guys were spending effort on this, as opposed….I dunno….hitting the ball?

Thumbs me down all you want DC folks – you should thumbs down these dumbasses

• shaggylocks - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Yeah! YEAH! They should be hitting balls RIGHT NOW! No time for twitter! Put down your phone and hit a ball! RIGHT NOW! No smiling! Because that’s how hitting the ball works!

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:08 PM

As much as I try to ALWAYS disagree with Phillies fans…I simply can’t this time Delaware.
      On point. These dudes need to be hitting off a tee. Possibly taking some batting practice.
      Anything but glorifying (approving of) the wave.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I here ya – I always hate agreeing with the enemy ;)

And I don’t mean to be the Fun Police here, and there is a point to make about staying loose. But sheesh! In a slump, your ace pitcher may be on the fritz….is this reall the time to be disecting the pro’s and con’s of the wave?

19. sandwiches4ever - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:37 PM

When I used to go to Yankee games regularly back in my younger days, the appropriate bleacher chant in response was “Save the wave for Shea!”

That sums up how I feel about it.

20. hughhansen - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:38 PM

This is more of a TV thing, but the team logo on the back of the mound in view of the center field camera is becoming increasingly irritating. Now that the Mets are doing theirs in color, I’m almost moved to tweet them about it.

21. bjoe23 - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Yeah good idea ban everything! Fans pay a lot of money to go to games but they can’t do what they want and have fun! No way!

22. jpash42 - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:45 PM

There are barely enough fans in that stadium to complete the wave!

23. illegalblues - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:55 PM

the wave is great, just like pizza rolls

• kollin7 - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Mmmmm.

24. hisgirlgotburrelled - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:04 PM

If you think the wave in general is dumb then what would happen if you went to Miller Park? Saw a game last year where they provided a variety of waves.

25. Michael - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM

4 Wave Factoids

1. People only start The Wave when they’re bored.

2. People almost always start The Wave when their team is in the field (see #1 — same reason that people make a beeline to the concessions and cans at the top of each inning).

3. The Wave seems to have a detrimental effect on pitchers (see #2 — no stats, but years of observations).

4. I am personally the reason there was no Wave at the 2001 All-Star Game. Some fool thought he’d start it in our section (to show ‘em how we do it in one of the 10 cities that claim they started The Wave). I relentlessly booed him. He stopped — and apparently there wasn’t enough boredom going around to get a Wave going elsewhere.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:19 PM

So you fancy yourself as some sort of hero huh Michael?
      The ‘Anti-Wave Crusader’ if you will.

• Michael - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:23 PM

You’re absolutely right. I need some kind of costume.

• historiophiliac - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:27 PM

So, Yankees fans do this to delay games so relievers have time to warm up?

• indaburg - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Yep. Known fact.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4704)