Delmon Young homers in first at-bat with Phillies

Apr 30, 2013, 8:11 PM EST

Delmon Young was finally activated off the disabled list on Tuesday afternoon and did this three pitches into his first at-bat in a Phillies uniform on Tuesday night …

Young signed a one-year, $750,000 contract with Philadelphia in late January. He underwent microfracture ankle surgery last September and spent the first four weeks of the regular season in rehab mode.

1. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 30, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Charlie Manuel: “Get a base hit tonight and I’ll buy you a cheese steak when we get to Philly.”

Delmon clearly wanted four.

2. papacrick - Apr 30, 2013 at 8:27 PM

He also homered in his first at bat with the Tigers. Not a sign of good things to come

3. thebadguyswon - Apr 30, 2013 at 8:35 PM

FAT BOY GOES YARD!!

• billyboots - May 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I thought Delmon was looking rather svelte.

4. deweyks - Apr 30, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Way to go, Pork Chop!

5. greymares - Apr 30, 2013 at 8:43 PM

not to big a deal the Indians have hit 5 so far tonight fightins down 12-1 in the 5th

6. tfbuckfutter - Apr 30, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Ruben Amaro: Now, if I understand averages, and I think I do….that means he will have 136 home runs and 136 RBIs this season. Talk about run production!

7. tfbuckfutter - Apr 30, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I like to think Delmon Young reads this website, and uses it as inspiration.

Let’s see if we can mock him to being the fattest MVP in Phillies history.

• chacochicken - Apr 30, 2013 at 9:11 PM

This is far too provincial for the likes of the cultured Delmon Young. He only reads classic Southern literature like O’Connor, Faulkner, and Williams. He writes some poetry of his own. For instance the first few lines of “Delmon Young is Misunderstood” goes like this:
      Hack at the first pitch, Hack
      What’s that sign? That ain’t me.
      Hack, Delmon, Hack.
      Strike? This Jew ump says Strike!
      They always call Strike! on Delmon.
      Hack, Delmon, Hack.

• historiophiliac - Apr 30, 2013 at 9:35 PM

You are obviously a Renaissance Chicken, sir. There is poetry in your bones.

• chacochicken - Apr 30, 2013 at 9:43 PM

They also make a fine base for a soup. Since you are in to that kind of thing.

• historiophiliac - Apr 30, 2013 at 9:56 PM

You could recite poetry for me in a salty hot tub…

• historiophiliac - Apr 30, 2013 at 10:35 PM

You are feeling mean today, aren’t you?

BTW, I voted for DY for the NL All Star team. :)

8. evanwins - Apr 30, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I guess none of the genius’s on this board saw that he is not fat anymore. Actually looks pretty trim.

But why let that get in the way of an attempt (failed as it is) to be clever.

What will you say to make you feel better about yourself now that you can’t make fun of his weight? I know! You;ll still make jokes about his weight even though they’re not relevant.

• chacochicken - Apr 30, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Oh, Delmon has plenty of things to mock…How about his terrible OBP? His ever declining contact rate? Or maybe his anti-semitism? Although I’ve never pointed out grammatical errors before, the irony compels me to mention that you’ve used the possessive of genius rather than the plural, geniuses.
      Sorry, evanwins, or should I say Delmon? If it is you Delmon, I hope the new thinner you has changed for the better.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 30, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I’m actually pretty sure that’s Ruben Amaro posting here in defense of Delmon.

Earlier he posted that even though Delmon has a terrible OBP, his batting average is pretty good and he has a lot of RBIs.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 30, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Delmon Young being fat is all we have to protect ourselves from our own insecurities.

Don’t take that away from us. It’s all we have!

And even if he isn’t fat anymore, he still looks like Mr. Potatohead. So I guess I was wrong….we still have that.

• nflfollower - Apr 30, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I’ve always thought he looks like Kermit the frog with a batting helmet on… just my two cents. He does look a bit trimmer this year however.

• evanwins - May 1, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Tbutfucker: you seem to be obsessed with Delmon, I count 5 comments on this post and 5 on the other one today. You sure you”re not in love with him? Maybe it’s personal, did he sleep with your wife?

10 posts on one player in one day is obsessive and I think you should seek help…or just admit you have a man crush on the guy.

Jason Collins opened the door for you and people of your kind. step through it.

• tfbuckfutter - May 1, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Ooohhh no. Call me gay as an insult.

• snowbirdgothic - May 1, 2013 at 8:37 AM

So the response to fat-shaming is homophobia? THE ILLOGIC. IT BURNS.

• Dan Camponovo - Apr 30, 2013 at 9:34 PM

There are weigh-in clauses built into Delmon’s contract. He is in no way, shape or form trim, especially after being immobilized for most of the off-season. He is fat. He is a fat baseball player.

• historiophiliac - Apr 30, 2013 at 9:43 PM

He is significantly thinner than he was last year with the Tigers. It’s noticeable.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 30, 2013 at 10:19 PM

It’s easy to lose weight when you make minor changes to your diet.

He stopped eating the cotton candy insulation in his attic.

• thebadguyswon - May 1, 2013 at 3:30 AM

Oh please. His highness is a dozen assorted at Dunkin away from being a blimp again.

In case you haven’t noticed, Delmon Young is not a very well-liked major league ballplayer. He’s going to get piled on like the fat tub of anti-Semite he is.

9. rgledz - May 1, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Pretty sure that John Kruk will always be the fattest Phillie in team history……..unless you count managers. Charlie Manuel….oh boy.

10. captainwisdom8888 - May 1, 2013 at 6:35 AM

when you can start pinpointing the people who have fiery debates on topics like Delmon Young…you know the american people have gone astray….and lost a certain “humane” element about them (CASE CLOSED)

• paperlions - May 1, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Yeah, we were much more humane when we owned slaves, beat our wives, and only let land owning white men have any say in public policy. Oh humanity, where have you gone?

• historiophiliac - May 1, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Happy May Day!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5896)