Apr 30, 2013, 11:32 PM EDT
Rivera will likely head to extended spring training for a couple of weeks before reporting to Triple-A Reno, where he will serve as organizational outfield depth for the Snakes. He was released by the Yankees just before the start of the regular season to open up a roster spot for first baseman Tyler Overbay.
Rivera, who turns 35 years old in July, batted just .244/.286/.375 across 339 plate appearances last summer with the Dodgers. He hit .295/.317/.377 in 63 plate appearances this spring in Yankees camp.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 3
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 10
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)