Apr 30, 2013, 11:32 PM EDT
Rivera will likely head to extended spring training for a couple of weeks before reporting to Triple-A Reno, where he will serve as organizational outfield depth for the Snakes. He was released by the Yankees just before the start of the regular season to open up a roster spot for first baseman Tyler Overbay.
Rivera, who turns 35 years old in July, batted just .244/.286/.375 across 339 plate appearances last summer with the Dodgers. He hit .295/.317/.377 in 63 plate appearances this spring in Yankees camp.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)