Apr 30, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
For all the heroics in last night’s 19-inning game between the Angels and the A’s there was a good deal of ignominy as well. Mostly from Josh Hamilton who put up the snowman in the box score: an 0 for 8 performance. He struck out three times and had eight swinging strikes in all. His best at bat: a sac fly. But he failed to reach base in any of his nine plate appearances.
Hamilton is now hitting 202/.246/.298 on the year. As Marc Normandin of SB Nation points out in his dissection of last night’s performance, Hamilton is now hitting .236/.306/.446 in his last 543 plate appearances dating to June 1, 2012 and he has struck out 29 percent of the time over that span.
Small sample sizes are one thing. This one is getting large.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 99
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 2
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)