Apr 30, 2013, 3:09 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official. Youkilis has been DL’d. They’re calling his injury a “lumbar spine sprain.” Called up to replace him on the roster is Corban Joseph.
11:03 AM: Kevin Youkilis has had a bad back for a week, though he did tough it out enough to play on Saturday. Yesterday he underwent an MRI. It came back negative, but he’s scheduled to receive an epidural injection today. Jon Heyman says that the Yankees can’t wait for him to come around any longer and are likely to place him on the disabled list.
Given his recent history this can’t be terribly unexpected. Youk is hitting .266/.347/.422 with two homers and seven RBI on the season.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 6
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 213
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 52
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)