Apr 30, 2013, 3:09 PM EST
UPDATE: It’s official. Youkilis has been DL’d. They’re calling his injury a “lumbar spine sprain.” Called up to replace him on the roster is Corban Joseph.
11:03 AM: Kevin Youkilis has had a bad back for a week, though he did tough it out enough to play on Saturday. Yesterday he underwent an MRI. It came back negative, but he’s scheduled to receive an epidural injection today. Jon Heyman says that the Yankees can’t wait for him to come around any longer and are likely to place him on the disabled list.
Given his recent history this can’t be terribly unexpected. Youk is hitting .266/.347/.422 with two homers and seven RBI on the season.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 44
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 34
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 51
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 47
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)