Apr 30, 2013, 3:09 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official. Youkilis has been DL’d. They’re calling his injury a “lumbar spine sprain.” Called up to replace him on the roster is Corban Joseph.
11:03 AM: Kevin Youkilis has had a bad back for a week, though he did tough it out enough to play on Saturday. Yesterday he underwent an MRI. It came back negative, but he’s scheduled to receive an epidural injection today. Jon Heyman says that the Yankees can’t wait for him to come around any longer and are likely to place him on the disabled list.
Given his recent history this can’t be terribly unexpected. Youk is hitting .266/.347/.422 with two homers and seven RBI on the season.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)