Apr 30, 2013, 3:09 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official. Youkilis has been DL’d. They’re calling his injury a “lumbar spine sprain.” Called up to replace him on the roster is Corban Joseph.
11:03 AM: Kevin Youkilis has had a bad back for a week, though he did tough it out enough to play on Saturday. Yesterday he underwent an MRI. It came back negative, but he’s scheduled to receive an epidural injection today. Jon Heyman says that the Yankees can’t wait for him to come around any longer and are likely to place him on the disabled list.
Given his recent history this can’t be terribly unexpected. Youk is hitting .266/.347/.422 with two homers and seven RBI on the season.
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 17
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 19
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 43
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- Royals acquire ace Johnny Cueto from the Reds 71
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)