Apr 30, 2013, 9:24 PM EDT
Teixeira is currently limited to dry swings and the Yankees are not sure when he might be ready to ramp up his rehab to slightly more strenuous baseball activities like soft toss or tee work.
Which brings us to this tweet from Andrew Marchand of ESPNNewYork.com:
Best case for Teixeira return is probably the end of the month. June seems more likely.
— Andrew Marchand (@AndrewMarchand) April 30, 2013
Lyle Overbay will continue to serve as the Yankees’ primary first baseman. Teixeira, who posted the worst OPS of his career last season, is owed $22.5 million this year and $67.5 million between 2014 and 2016.
The 33-year-old injured his right wrist in March while preparing for the 2013 World Baseball Classic.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)