Apr 30, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Giancarlo Stanton was just starting to heat up at the plate and the Marlins have their first winning streak of the season after last night’s extra-inning victory, but now he’s been placed on the disabled list with a strained hamstring.
Stanton, who previously missed a week of action with a shoulder injury, exited last night’s win over the Mets in the 10th inning after getting hurt trying to leg out an infield single. For now he’s been diagnosed with a strain, but Stanton told reporters afterward that he heard a “pop” and the right fielder is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today.
Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that the Marlins will call up prospect Marcell Ozuna from Double-A to take Stanton’s place on the roster and in the outfield. Ozuna is just 22 years old and has played all of 10 career games above Single-A, so much like they did with right-hander Jose Fernandez the Marlins would be rushing his development timetable. Ozuna ranked 75th on Baseball America‘s annual list of top prospects coming into the season.
Miami ranks dead last among MLB teams with 2.78 runs per game and no other team has averaged fewer than 3.25. And as underwhelming as Stanton’s overall production has been his .728 OPS leads the team.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 10
- Matt Holliday’s historical on-base streak ends with ejection 61
- Video: Joey Gallo goes way deep in second MLB at-bat 9
- Video: Joey Gallo’s first career plate appearance in the major leagues results in two runs scoring 8
- Scott Kazmir cleared to return to A’s rotation Friday 0
- Bryce Harper continues to lead N.L All-Star voting; Buster Posey passes Yadier Molina 19
- Rob Manfred expects there to be spring training games in Cuba next year 17
- Stephen Strasburg has a left trapezius strain 19
- Stan Hack didn’t hack and other inappropriate baseball names (183)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (150)
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (133)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (106)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)