Apr 30, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Giancarlo Stanton was just starting to heat up at the plate and the Marlins have their first winning streak of the season after last night’s extra-inning victory, but now he’s been placed on the disabled list with a strained hamstring.
Stanton, who previously missed a week of action with a shoulder injury, exited last night’s win over the Mets in the 10th inning after getting hurt trying to leg out an infield single. For now he’s been diagnosed with a strain, but Stanton told reporters afterward that he heard a “pop” and the right fielder is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today.
Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that the Marlins will call up prospect Marcell Ozuna from Double-A to take Stanton’s place on the roster and in the outfield. Ozuna is just 22 years old and has played all of 10 career games above Single-A, so much like they did with right-hander Jose Fernandez the Marlins would be rushing his development timetable. Ozuna ranked 75th on Baseball America‘s annual list of top prospects coming into the season.
Miami ranks dead last among MLB teams with 2.78 runs per game and no other team has averaged fewer than 3.25. And as underwhelming as Stanton’s overall production has been his .728 OPS leads the team.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 54
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 23
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 26
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 23
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)