Apr 30, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Giancarlo Stanton was just starting to heat up at the plate and the Marlins have their first winning streak of the season after last night’s extra-inning victory, but now he’s been placed on the disabled list with a strained hamstring.
Stanton, who previously missed a week of action with a shoulder injury, exited last night’s win over the Mets in the 10th inning after getting hurt trying to leg out an infield single. For now he’s been diagnosed with a strain, but Stanton told reporters afterward that he heard a “pop” and the right fielder is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today.
Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that the Marlins will call up prospect Marcell Ozuna from Double-A to take Stanton’s place on the roster and in the outfield. Ozuna is just 22 years old and has played all of 10 career games above Single-A, so much like they did with right-hander Jose Fernandez the Marlins would be rushing his development timetable. Ozuna ranked 75th on Baseball America‘s annual list of top prospects coming into the season.
Miami ranks dead last among MLB teams with 2.78 runs per game and no other team has averaged fewer than 3.25. And as underwhelming as Stanton’s overall production has been his .728 OPS leads the team.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 9
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day (83)