Apr 30, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Giancarlo Stanton was just starting to heat up at the plate and the Marlins have their first winning streak of the season after last night’s extra-inning victory, but now he’s been placed on the disabled list with a strained hamstring.
Stanton, who previously missed a week of action with a shoulder injury, exited last night’s win over the Mets in the 10th inning after getting hurt trying to leg out an infield single. For now he’s been diagnosed with a strain, but Stanton told reporters afterward that he heard a “pop” and the right fielder is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today.
Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that the Marlins will call up prospect Marcell Ozuna from Double-A to take Stanton’s place on the roster and in the outfield. Ozuna is just 22 years old and has played all of 10 career games above Single-A, so much like they did with right-hander Jose Fernandez the Marlins would be rushing his development timetable. Ozuna ranked 75th on Baseball America‘s annual list of top prospects coming into the season.
Miami ranks dead last among MLB teams with 2.78 runs per game and no other team has averaged fewer than 3.25. And as underwhelming as Stanton’s overall production has been his .728 OPS leads the team.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (363)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (77)