Apr 30, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Giancarlo Stanton was just starting to heat up at the plate and the Marlins have their first winning streak of the season after last night’s extra-inning victory, but now he’s been placed on the disabled list with a strained hamstring.
Stanton, who previously missed a week of action with a shoulder injury, exited last night’s win over the Mets in the 10th inning after getting hurt trying to leg out an infield single. For now he’s been diagnosed with a strain, but Stanton told reporters afterward that he heard a “pop” and the right fielder is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today.
Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that the Marlins will call up prospect Marcell Ozuna from Double-A to take Stanton’s place on the roster and in the outfield. Ozuna is just 22 years old and has played all of 10 career games above Single-A, so much like they did with right-hander Jose Fernandez the Marlins would be rushing his development timetable. Ozuna ranked 75th on Baseball America‘s annual list of top prospects coming into the season.
Miami ranks dead last among MLB teams with 2.78 runs per game and no other team has averaged fewer than 3.25. And as underwhelming as Stanton’s overall production has been his .728 OPS leads the team.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 139
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 133
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (135)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (133)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)