Apr 30, 2013, 9:13 AM EDT
Major League Baseball has had something of an arm’s length relationship with YouTube for some time, doing more than the other sports leagues to police game action content posted there while releasing only some drips and drabs both there and as embeddable clips on MLB.com.
That has changed.
It was announced yesterday that, going forward, MLB’s YouTube channel will now include (two days delayed) highlights from every game of 2013. Which, while not instantaneous, is still better than nothing.
But the bigger deal is that MLB has released a huge archive of full games, going back as far back as 1952. Also, people outside of the US, Canada, South Korea, Taiwan and Japan can now watch two live games every day during the regular season for free.
It’s the archive which really jazzes me. Because you can clips like:
And full games like this tilt between the Red Sox and Mets in the 1986 World Series. You may have heard of this game before:
Bonus: Vin Scully’s intro: he looks like he’s 30 or something.
Anyway, if you feeling like whiling your life away, watching 30 year-old baseball games, now you can without even getting out of bed. And I don’t mean to make that sound like a bad thing.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)