MLB beefs up its presence on YouTube

Apr 30, 2013, 9:13 AM EDT

1986 Mets

Major League Baseball has had something of an arm’s length relationship with YouTube for some time, doing more than the other sports leagues to police game action content posted there while releasing only some drips and drabs both there and as embeddable clips on MLB.com.

That has changed.

It was announced yesterday that, going forward, MLB’s YouTube channel will now include (two days delayed) highlights from every game of 2013. Which, while not instantaneous, is still better than nothing.

But the bigger deal is that MLB has released a huge archive of full games, going back as far back as 1952. Also, people outside of the US, Canada, South Korea, Taiwan and Japan can now watch two live games every day during the regular season for free.

It’s the archive which really jazzes me. Because you can clips like:

And full games like this tilt between the Red  Sox and Mets in the 1986 World Series. You may have heard of this game before:

Bonus: Vin Scully’s intro: he looks like he’s 30 or something.

Anyway, if you feeling like whiling your life away, watching 30 year-old baseball games, now you can without even getting out of bed. And I don’t mean to make that sound like a bad thing.

1. Francisco (FC) - Apr 30, 2013 at 9:25 AM

This is great stuff. You can watch stuff like this too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prou_wx4DWQ

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 30, 2013 at 10:14 AM

BTW I’m not saying Jack Morris is some all-time great. But if Craig is gonna embed Carter, I’m gonna counter with pedestrian Morris shutting out the Braves to win the 91′ WS (it’s only fair :) )

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 30, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Touche – but I prefer Craig watch this one:

If you zoom in, real, real, real, real, REAL tight on the right side of the Center Field jumbotron, you’ll see me.

No, not that guy, next to him

2. boredfriday - Apr 30, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Better late than never. Hooray, MLBAM.

I’m surprised Game 7 of the 1960 WS isn’t on there. It seems there are some unique issues with the footage. Hopefully that gets added soon.

3. raybrower - Apr 30, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Oh good, my wife was hoping I’d find more baseball to distract me from lawn work.

• whatthehellisansky - Apr 30, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Oh good, my boss was hoping i’d find more baseball to distract me from this stack of work i have sitting on my desk.

4. boredfriday - Apr 30, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Now I’m trying to think of other missing World Series games that I’d like to see. The only one immediately coming to mind is 2011 Game 6.

5. whatthehellisansky - Apr 30, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Anyone know if this applies to the Doc Ellis LSD no-hitter?

Been looking for video of that for a long time now…

6. mustbechris - Apr 30, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Joe Carter. ughhhh

7. historiophiliac - Apr 30, 2013 at 10:08 AM

The first two words of the headline were very misleading…

8. schmedley69 - Apr 30, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Great. Now we can use that beer can throwing incident by Braves fans to teach youngsters how not to behave at a baseball game.

9. billybawl - Apr 30, 2013 at 12:20 PM

From a quick glance, it looks like they put all or most of the archives already available with an MLB.TV subscription, plus a bunch of games with Daisuke Matsuzaka. Anything I’m missing?

10. hojo20 - Apr 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Give me a break. What about the public posting the games they’ve taped?

11. thenaturalmevs - Apr 30, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Better than nothing, but still doesn’t help us blogger-types who want to upload Mccutchen’s catch on to our site the night it happened instead of two days later.

12. qacm - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:48 PM

It’s so awesome watching this now… when we know that Roger Clemens would go on to become one of the greatest pitchers of all time — if not THE greatest — that Daryl Strawberry would deal with so many heartbreaking struggles during his life, that Lenny Dykstra would prove to be one of the world’s all-time great idiots, that Keith Hernandez would later make an indelible appearance on Seinfeld, and so much more. Not to mention the last inning!

If there was ever a desert island video, this is it.

13. moogro - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I got sucked into the 86 series video until I got freaked out by Captain Queeg at 2:30.

14. uuddlrlrbastart - Apr 30, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I just watched the 10th inning of 1986 Game 6, because I will take any opportunity to watch it. And the single most stunning thing occurs as Ray Knight scores the winning run. Vin Scully says “here comes Knight and the Mets win it!” And then silence. For 3.5 minutes. It doesn’t seem like a very long time, but watch the video, it’s incredible. The camera pans the crowd, shows the Mets celebrating, follows Buckner off the field, shows the scoreboard, a couple of replays are shown…and Scully just lets it happen. He doesn’t interject his commentary or try to say anything memorable. He let’s the moment be the moment.

While watching I was imagining all the nonsense Buck and McCarver would be saying, trying to analyze the play and the moment, trying to say something knowing the moment would live forever and they could be part of it. Scully just let the moment be itself.

15. multiplemiggs - May 1, 2013 at 6:59 AM

What about Henry Longtoothe-Bottington Finklestein’s famous Spitball that won the Okechobee Classic of 1889? Will that be on there?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3194)