Seth Smith is bummed he didn’t get to pitch the 21st inning Monday night

Apr 30, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT

Seth Smith AP

The A’s got through 19 innings using eight pitchers Monday against the Angels and they would have kept Jerry Blevins in for the 20th if not for Brandon Moss‘s walkoff shot. Had it gone to the 21st, it was going to be Seth Smith’s game.

“It was bittersweet when Moss hit the home run because I figured I was going to pitch,” Smith told CSNBayArea.com’s Casey Pratt.

Asked about his repetoire, Smith replied sarcastically, “Fastball, slider, change, 78-81 mph. I try to change speeds and work both sides of the plate and keep them guessing.”

The mound appearance would have been the first of Smith’s career. Although he downplayed his abilities, the left-hander does have a pretty good arm; in college, he was Eli Manning’s backup at Ole Miss.

1. haterzinc - Apr 30, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Other than the home run, my favorite baseball activity to watch, without a doubt, is a position player pitching…..I love it

• hittfamily - Apr 30, 2013 at 10:13 PM

1) Brawls
      2) Steal of Home
      3) Plays at Plates
      4) Spring Training Hooters Ballgirls
      5) HBPiD
      6) Managerial Ejections with long tirade
      7) Position Players Pitching 8) Reserve Catcher Catching
      9) Walk Off Homerun
      10) Robbing of a Homerun

• hittfamily - Apr 30, 2013 at 10:15 PM

of course wordress has to eff up my list by making my #8 with an ) a freaking sun with glasses on. Thanks alot Obama.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 30, 2013 at 10:32 PM

On Fark.com….it would change the n-word to “successful and attractive African American”….but it would also change common slang or leetspeak to it as well….

So every time someone wrote “In 1997″ the filter would perceive it as “n1997″ (the 7 apparently being an “A”)…..

Made for a lot of interesting conversations about Bill Clinton’s policies.

• paperlions - May 1, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Well then, you should thoroughly enjoy this in depth scouting report of Skip Schumaker pitching: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/very-urgent-scouting-report-skip-schumaker-pitcher/

• cardsfanandi - May 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Think we could get him back in the Cards’ bullpen? There’s a chance he might actually be better than some of the mess we’ve been seeing so far this season…

2. tuberippin - Apr 30, 2013 at 10:09 PM

There, there, Seth. Not all ballplayers get to have a Wilson Valdez/Chris Davis moment.

3. tfbuckfutter - Apr 30, 2013 at 10:29 PM

“in college, he was Eli Manning’s backup at Ole Miss.”

Be careful then….unless it’s a playoff game, there’s a good chance he’d have pitched to the guy in the on-deck circle instead of the batter’s box.

• jm91rs - May 1, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Eli’s a stud at the 2 minute warning. I’d call the 21st inning the 2 minute warning so he probably would have done fine.

4. Caught Looking - Apr 30, 2013 at 10:58 PM

What is it about future MLB position players backing up Mannings in college?

• mazblast - May 1, 2013 at 12:42 AM

You get to wear the uniform without having to actually play–ever.

Getting back to the game–Smith was the DH, forced to play the field when Crisp and Young got hurt. Who was going to take his place in the outfield if he moved to the mound?

• hittfamily - May 1, 2013 at 12:47 AM

The pitcher.

• hittfamily - May 1, 2013 at 12:46 AM

The backup gets 1st string pussy when a Manning is starting.

5. jsally430 - May 1, 2013 at 9:02 AM

wasn’t it three or four years ago Matt cain had to play right field? I like seeing that too. haven’t seen it since though

• theptbnl - May 1, 2013 at 12:12 PM

It was Noah Lowry who was playing right against the A’s in that game.
      Why? Because Randy Winn had to play thirdbase. Why? Because Pedro Feliz had to catch. Why? Because the backup catcher, who had run for Begie Molina, had gotten hurt.
      That was a fun game of musical chairs.

• mazblast - May 2, 2013 at 12:54 AM

It’s always interesting to see the “emergency catcher” actually have to catch. I got stuck with that job one year in kiddie ball (before there was tee ball), talk about terrifying. I remember one jerk pitcher throwing sliders instead of fastballs, just to mess with me.

6. jm91rs - May 1, 2013 at 12:43 PM

How many starting pitchers did both teams use? That’s always scary running a guy out there on short rest. I can remember a game where the Reds used Aaron Harang out of the bullpen and I’m pretty sure it ruined him for 2 years. At least Reds fans like to tell Dusty it ruined his career, in actuality I’m not sure Aaron Harang was quite an “ace” anymore.

• mazblast - May 2, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Harang had started two nights earlier and was knocked out early by the potent Padres offense. He pitched 4 1/3 that Sunday, mostly because Dusty had burned through his bullpen in the first few extra innings playing righty-lefty too much, and he pitched well (no runs, something like 8 K’s) in those innings. What the Dusty non-fans forgot, in saying that Harang wasn’t any good after that outing that May, is that Harang hadn’t been much good that year up until then. Dusty’s usage may have accelerated it, but Harang was on the downslope that year anyways.

That game really stands out in my mind because my then-girlfriend told me we’d leave for dinner after the game was over (she offered, I didn’t ask), then got pissed at ME because the game went 17 innings, as if it was MY fault. Then she got even madder because I was happy that Adrian Gonzalez’ HR ended it.

Hitters adjusting to Masahiro Tanaka