Apr 30, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
The A’s got through 19 innings using eight pitchers Monday against the Angels and they would have kept Jerry Blevins in for the 20th if not for Brandon Moss‘s walkoff shot. Had it gone to the 21st, it was going to be Seth Smith’s game.
“It was bittersweet when Moss hit the home run because I figured I was going to pitch,” Smith told CSNBayArea.com’s Casey Pratt.
Asked about his repetoire, Smith replied sarcastically, “Fastball, slider, change, 78-81 mph. I try to change speeds and work both sides of the plate and keep them guessing.”
The mound appearance would have been the first of Smith’s career. Although he downplayed his abilities, the left-hander does have a pretty good arm; in college, he was Eli Manning’s backup at Ole Miss.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (151)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)