Apr 30, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
The A’s got through 19 innings using eight pitchers Monday against the Angels and they would have kept Jerry Blevins in for the 20th if not for Brandon Moss‘s walkoff shot. Had it gone to the 21st, it was going to be Seth Smith’s game.
“It was bittersweet when Moss hit the home run because I figured I was going to pitch,” Smith told CSNBayArea.com’s Casey Pratt.
Asked about his repetoire, Smith replied sarcastically, “Fastball, slider, change, 78-81 mph. I try to change speeds and work both sides of the plate and keep them guessing.”
The mound appearance would have been the first of Smith’s career. Although he downplayed his abilities, the left-hander does have a pretty good arm; in college, he was Eli Manning’s backup at Ole Miss.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)