Apr 30, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
The A’s got through 19 innings using eight pitchers Monday against the Angels and they would have kept Jerry Blevins in for the 20th if not for Brandon Moss‘s walkoff shot. Had it gone to the 21st, it was going to be Seth Smith’s game.
“It was bittersweet when Moss hit the home run because I figured I was going to pitch,” Smith told CSNBayArea.com’s Casey Pratt.
Asked about his repetoire, Smith replied sarcastically, “Fastball, slider, change, 78-81 mph. I try to change speeds and work both sides of the plate and keep them guessing.”
The mound appearance would have been the first of Smith’s career. Although he downplayed his abilities, the left-hander does have a pretty good arm; in college, he was Eli Manning’s backup at Ole Miss.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 18
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 13
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 49
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 74
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 77
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)