Apr 30, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
The A’s got through 19 innings using eight pitchers Monday against the Angels and they would have kept Jerry Blevins in for the 20th if not for Brandon Moss‘s walkoff shot. Had it gone to the 21st, it was going to be Seth Smith’s game.
“It was bittersweet when Moss hit the home run because I figured I was going to pitch,” Smith told CSNBayArea.com’s Casey Pratt.
Asked about his repetoire, Smith replied sarcastically, “Fastball, slider, change, 78-81 mph. I try to change speeds and work both sides of the plate and keep them guessing.”
The mound appearance would have been the first of Smith’s career. Although he downplayed his abilities, the left-hander does have a pretty good arm; in college, he was Eli Manning’s backup at Ole Miss.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 18
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 44
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 33
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)