Umpire Brian O’Nora diagnosed with intestinal tear

Apr 30, 2013, 10:47 AM EST

Brian O'Nora AP

Friday night umpire Brian O’Nora ran off the field, apparently got sick in front of Mets manager Terry Collins in the dugout tunnel, and had to be replaced as the home plate umpire in the Mets-Phillies game.

After a 10-minute delay several beat writers in the press box tweeted that they heard O’Nora had swallowed his chewing tobacco, but apparently those reports were off base. MLB announced that O’Nora had been feeling ill prior to the game and has since been diagnosed with an intestinal tear that will keep him out indefinitely.

1. flamethrower101 - Apr 30, 2013 at 10:51 AM

oh yeah they announce this stuff but not when they’re disciplined. Beautiful.

In all seriousness though, here’s wishing him the best

2. mybrunoblog - Apr 30, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I’m not trying to be a wise ass but damm. How do you tear your intestine? Did he eat Tai food and have spicey Mexican for desert?
    I think we’ve all had that sick feeling after a bad meal that runs through you as you sprint for a bathroom thinking “Please God, let me reach the toilet”

• dowhatifeellike - Apr 30, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Retch hard enough and it can happen. Not so different from what causes a sports hernia.

• pharmerbrown - Apr 30, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Toasted everything bagel. The sesame seeds are shaped like tiny pointed bullets. At least, that’s what caused mine to tear.

3. manute - Apr 30, 2013 at 11:06 AM

That fungo bat? Million to one shot, Doc…

4. JB (the original) - Apr 30, 2013 at 11:27 AM

In the photo he’s obviously signalling for the “4 piece” chicken dinner–so my guess is “I think he ate the bones, I think he ate the bones!”

5. mustbechris - Apr 30, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I speak for all Philly sports when I express my complete lack of surprise that the Philly sports writers were wrong about something they reported as fact. We have the absolute worst beat writers in North America, for all four sports.

6. pashton2 - Apr 30, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Fusilli Jerry

7. 13arod - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:48 PM

my teacher tore his instestente before he almost died because he didn’t feel any pain

• kiwicricket - Apr 30, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Is that Italian for intestine?

8. gnyj85 - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM

He ate the bones!

jk wish him back to full health

9. dirtyharry1971 - Apr 30, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I never believed the chew story, a well seasoned dipper can handle swallowing a dip it just comes with experience

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6175)