Apr 30, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Friday night umpire Brian O’Nora ran off the field, apparently got sick in front of Mets manager Terry Collins in the dugout tunnel, and had to be replaced as the home plate umpire in the Mets-Phillies game.
After a 10-minute delay several beat writers in the press box tweeted that they heard O’Nora had swallowed his chewing tobacco, but apparently those reports were off base. MLB announced that O’Nora had been feeling ill prior to the game and has since been diagnosed with an intestinal tear that will keep him out indefinitely.
- Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with neck tightness 2
- Jerry Dior, designer of MLB’s iconic logo, has passed away 9
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 118
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 16
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 78
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (119)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (85)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (80)