Apr 30, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Friday night umpire Brian O’Nora ran off the field, apparently got sick in front of Mets manager Terry Collins in the dugout tunnel, and had to be replaced as the home plate umpire in the Mets-Phillies game.
After a 10-minute delay several beat writers in the press box tweeted that they heard O’Nora had swallowed his chewing tobacco, but apparently those reports were off base. MLB announced that O’Nora had been feeling ill prior to the game and has since been diagnosed with an intestinal tear that will keep him out indefinitely.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 41
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 37
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)