Apr 30, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Friday night umpire Brian O’Nora ran off the field, apparently got sick in front of Mets manager Terry Collins in the dugout tunnel, and had to be replaced as the home plate umpire in the Mets-Phillies game.
After a 10-minute delay several beat writers in the press box tweeted that they heard O’Nora had swallowed his chewing tobacco, but apparently those reports were off base. MLB announced that O’Nora had been feeling ill prior to the game and has since been diagnosed with an intestinal tear that will keep him out indefinitely.
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 0
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 37
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 28
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)