Apr 30, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Friday night umpire Brian O’Nora ran off the field, apparently got sick in front of Mets manager Terry Collins in the dugout tunnel, and had to be replaced as the home plate umpire in the Mets-Phillies game.
After a 10-minute delay several beat writers in the press box tweeted that they heard O’Nora had swallowed his chewing tobacco, but apparently those reports were off base. MLB announced that O’Nora had been feeling ill prior to the game and has since been diagnosed with an intestinal tear that will keep him out indefinitely.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 50
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 26
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)