May 1, 2013, 9:34 PM EDT
Harper crashed into the right field wall on Tuesday at Turner Field during a home run-robbing attempt. He may have injured himself on that play and then aggravated the injury on Wednesday evening.
Harper is batting .337/.427/.705 with nine home runs and 18 RBI in 27 games this season. He joins a list of injured Nats stars that includes Jayson Werth (ankle) and Ryan Zimmerman (hamstring). Werth is active but considered day-to-day. Zimmerman is expected to return from the 15-day disabled list this week.
UPDATE, 9:53 PM ET: According to James Wagner of the Washington Post, manager Davey Johnson told reporters that Harper’s exit was indeed related to Tuesday’s catch attempt. Harper has a bad bruise on his left side. He was given some pain medication and is currently considered day-to-day.
By the way, Harper is in a new commercial for GEICO auto insurance. It doesn’t involve a talking lizard or a caveman, but it’s plenty stupid in its own right …
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)