May 1, 2013, 9:34 PM EST
Harper crashed into the right field wall on Tuesday at Turner Field during a home run-robbing attempt. He may have injured himself on that play and then aggravated the injury on Wednesday evening.
Harper is batting .337/.427/.705 with nine home runs and 18 RBI in 27 games this season. He joins a list of injured Nats stars that includes Jayson Werth (ankle) and Ryan Zimmerman (hamstring). Werth is active but considered day-to-day. Zimmerman is expected to return from the 15-day disabled list this week.
UPDATE, 9:53 PM ET: According to James Wagner of the Washington Post, manager Davey Johnson told reporters that Harper’s exit was indeed related to Tuesday’s catch attempt. Harper has a bad bruise on his left side. He was given some pain medication and is currently considered day-to-day.
By the way, Harper is in a new commercial for GEICO auto insurance. It doesn’t involve a talking lizard or a caveman, but it’s plenty stupid in its own right …
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)