May 1, 2013, 9:34 PM EDT
Harper crashed into the right field wall on Tuesday at Turner Field during a home run-robbing attempt. He may have injured himself on that play and then aggravated the injury on Wednesday evening.
Harper is batting .337/.427/.705 with nine home runs and 18 RBI in 27 games this season. He joins a list of injured Nats stars that includes Jayson Werth (ankle) and Ryan Zimmerman (hamstring). Werth is active but considered day-to-day. Zimmerman is expected to return from the 15-day disabled list this week.
UPDATE, 9:53 PM ET: According to James Wagner of the Washington Post, manager Davey Johnson told reporters that Harper’s exit was indeed related to Tuesday’s catch attempt. Harper has a bad bruise on his left side. He was given some pain medication and is currently considered day-to-day.
By the way, Harper is in a new commercial for GEICO auto insurance. It doesn’t involve a talking lizard or a caveman, but it’s plenty stupid in its own right …
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 30
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 5
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 12
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)