May 1, 2013, 9:34 PM EDT
Harper crashed into the right field wall on Tuesday at Turner Field during a home run-robbing attempt. He may have injured himself on that play and then aggravated the injury on Wednesday evening.
Harper is batting .337/.427/.705 with nine home runs and 18 RBI in 27 games this season. He joins a list of injured Nats stars that includes Jayson Werth (ankle) and Ryan Zimmerman (hamstring). Werth is active but considered day-to-day. Zimmerman is expected to return from the 15-day disabled list this week.
UPDATE, 9:53 PM ET: According to James Wagner of the Washington Post, manager Davey Johnson told reporters that Harper’s exit was indeed related to Tuesday’s catch attempt. Harper has a bad bruise on his left side. He was given some pain medication and is currently considered day-to-day.
By the way, Harper is in a new commercial for GEICO auto insurance. It doesn’t involve a talking lizard or a caveman, but it’s plenty stupid in its own right …
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 7
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)