May 1, 2013, 9:41 AM EDT
Delmon Young does not care what I or anyone else who likes to poke fun of Delmon Young thinks. He got $250K for getting on a plane to Cleveland yesterday and may get millions for simply losing a moderate amount of weight — which, based on how he looked last night, he already has. His is a pretty good life when you stop to think about it.
But it’s not like he’s the worst caricature of himself that we haters have created. He is motivated, reports Ruben Frank of CSNPhilly.com, and is ready to play right field for the Phillies tonight. The Phillies brass says a lot of good things about him. They’re really wanting this to work.
It’s kinda crazy to realize that Delmon is still only 27. That, combined with the fact that the last time he was really in shape — in 2010 for the Twins — he had a really nice year. So no, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that he produces this year. And maybe last night’s home run — and the fact that he didn’t ground out on any first-pitch swings — is a harbinger of things to come.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)