May 1, 2013, 9:41 AM EDT
Delmon Young does not care what I or anyone else who likes to poke fun of Delmon Young thinks. He got $250K for getting on a plane to Cleveland yesterday and may get millions for simply losing a moderate amount of weight — which, based on how he looked last night, he already has. His is a pretty good life when you stop to think about it.
But it’s not like he’s the worst caricature of himself that we haters have created. He is motivated, reports Ruben Frank of CSNPhilly.com, and is ready to play right field for the Phillies tonight. The Phillies brass says a lot of good things about him. They’re really wanting this to work.
It’s kinda crazy to realize that Delmon is still only 27. That, combined with the fact that the last time he was really in shape — in 2010 for the Twins — he had a really nice year. So no, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that he produces this year. And maybe last night’s home run — and the fact that he didn’t ground out on any first-pitch swings — is a harbinger of things to come.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20