May 1, 2013, 9:41 AM EDT
Delmon Young does not care what I or anyone else who likes to poke fun of Delmon Young thinks. He got $250K for getting on a plane to Cleveland yesterday and may get millions for simply losing a moderate amount of weight — which, based on how he looked last night, he already has. His is a pretty good life when you stop to think about it.
But it’s not like he’s the worst caricature of himself that we haters have created. He is motivated, reports Ruben Frank of CSNPhilly.com, and is ready to play right field for the Phillies tonight. The Phillies brass says a lot of good things about him. They’re really wanting this to work.
It’s kinda crazy to realize that Delmon is still only 27. That, combined with the fact that the last time he was really in shape — in 2010 for the Twins — he had a really nice year. So no, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that he produces this year. And maybe last night’s home run — and the fact that he didn’t ground out on any first-pitch swings — is a harbinger of things to come.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (247)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)