May 1, 2013, 9:41 AM EDT
Delmon Young does not care what I or anyone else who likes to poke fun of Delmon Young thinks. He got $250K for getting on a plane to Cleveland yesterday and may get millions for simply losing a moderate amount of weight — which, based on how he looked last night, he already has. His is a pretty good life when you stop to think about it.
But it’s not like he’s the worst caricature of himself that we haters have created. He is motivated, reports Ruben Frank of CSNPhilly.com, and is ready to play right field for the Phillies tonight. The Phillies brass says a lot of good things about him. They’re really wanting this to work.
It’s kinda crazy to realize that Delmon is still only 27. That, combined with the fact that the last time he was really in shape — in 2010 for the Twins — he had a really nice year. So no, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that he produces this year. And maybe last night’s home run — and the fact that he didn’t ground out on any first-pitch swings — is a harbinger of things to come.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 9
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)