May 1, 2013, 5:24 PM EDT
Things can be tough for journeyman role players in the big leagues, as Nick Green of the Marlins has learned and is about to learn again.
Just yesterday MLB.com ran a story with the headline: “Green more than veteran presence for Marlins.” An excerpt:
“I just want to play the game the right way–the way it’s supposed to be played,” Green said. “To bunt a guy over or do whatever it takes to get a guy in in certain situations. I feel like everybody is starting to loosen up and not put as much pressure on themselves in those situations.”
Green and Chris Valaika have split time at shortstop since Adeiny Hechavarria went on the disabled list with a bruised right elbow. Although Hechavarria could be reinstated in the next few days, chances are Green and Valaika will both remain with the big league club.
Well, a day later Adeiny Hechavarria is just about ready to come off the disabled list and now the Miami Herald has a story with the headline: “Veteran Green expected to be designated for assignment.” An excerpt:
If he clears waivers, he can either accept a reassignment to the minors with the Marlins or try to sign with another team through free agency. It sounded Wednesday like Green was leaning toward the latter.
“It’s disappointing,” Green said of potentially severing ties with the Marlins. “Everybody wants to be in the big leagues and you got to try to do the best you can when you get a chance. That’s all I could do.”
Twenty four hours can be a long time.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 50
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)