May 1, 2013, 5:24 PM EDT
Things can be tough for journeyman role players in the big leagues, as Nick Green of the Marlins has learned and is about to learn again.
Just yesterday MLB.com ran a story with the headline: “Green more than veteran presence for Marlins.” An excerpt:
“I just want to play the game the right way–the way it’s supposed to be played,” Green said. “To bunt a guy over or do whatever it takes to get a guy in in certain situations. I feel like everybody is starting to loosen up and not put as much pressure on themselves in those situations.”
Green and Chris Valaika have split time at shortstop since Adeiny Hechavarria went on the disabled list with a bruised right elbow. Although Hechavarria could be reinstated in the next few days, chances are Green and Valaika will both remain with the big league club.
Well, a day later Adeiny Hechavarria is just about ready to come off the disabled list and now the Miami Herald has a story with the headline: “Veteran Green expected to be designated for assignment.” An excerpt:
If he clears waivers, he can either accept a reassignment to the minors with the Marlins or try to sign with another team through free agency. It sounded Wednesday like Green was leaning toward the latter.
“It’s disappointing,” Green said of potentially severing ties with the Marlins. “Everybody wants to be in the big leagues and you got to try to do the best you can when you get a chance. That’s all I could do.”
Twenty four hours can be a long time.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 10
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 31
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)