Jay Bruce calls out the haters on Twitter

May 1, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT

It’s lose-lose for the famous on Twitter. If you’re notable, people are gonna try to poke at you a lot. And if you complain or try to fight back, you end up looking petty. Jay Bruce is probably learning that today. His tweets from last night:

That’s all pretty civil and it’s hard to disagree with any of it. But it’s not like the sort of people who hurl insults and hate on Twitter are the sort who will listen to reason and appeals to civility. The only way to engage them is to fire back with insults of your own if that’s your type of thing — and for most people it isn’t — or to ignore them.

And then, after you’re no longer leading the league in strikeouts and hitting a paltry .252/.312/.339, see if you can spot the same jerks who insulted you back in April now claiming to be your biggest fans. Which is more or less inevitable.

1. Francisco (FC) - May 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Jay could always go on a rampage like Chipper Jones.

2. chacochicken - May 1, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Don’t bring me down, Bruce
    Don’t bring me down, Bruce
    Don’t bring me down, Bruce
    Don’t bring me down.

Leave Jay alone! He’s on my fantasy team and he needs positive reinforcement to turn this power outage around.

• logisticalvoices - May 1, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Rule 1 about fantasy sports: nobody else on the planet cares about your team. Nobody.

• jm91rs - May 1, 2013 at 1:42 PM

is your name a play on the super annoying “logicalvoices” guy over at PFT that can’t stop talking about RG3?

• chacochicken - May 1, 2013 at 1:52 PM

No, Rule 1 of fantasy sports is come up with a clever team name.

• logisticalvoices - May 1, 2013 at 5:46 PM

@JM: exactly. Somebody needs to troll that troll over on PFT!

• cur68 - May 1, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Ignore that “logistic” guy. He’s a shrivelled ole FL prude.

I don’t have Bruce on my FL team, but you can bet he’ll pick it up over the summer. Hang on to him. I have known the heartbreak of trading away The Hanster & The Iron Giant, only to see them rebound for the competition. Also, Derek Holland is FL Dengue Fever. Stay the f*ck away from Derek Holland.

• mazblast - May 1, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Props for the Electric Light Orchestra reference.

3. dwrek5 - May 1, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Its all good, he ended with “Haha”. #lol

4. eagles512 - May 1, 2013 at 12:00 PM

If you can’t take it, get off twitter. I agree the people are idiots but just leave it.

5. stoutfiles - May 1, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Guys makes millions to play a game. Creates a Twitter account and expects everyone to slobber over him 24/7.

Look Jay, the fans paying your salary want to see you hit the ball, and if you aren’t they have every right to let you know, especially when you have a web presence. However, it’s on the fans not to get too personal, because its just a game.

6. hoopmatch - May 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM

You can call me Ray. And you can call me Jay. But you doesn’t have to put me down on twitter.

7. hisgirlgotburrelled - May 1, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Yeah it’s a civil response, but I’d like to think Jay Bruce could just brush off morons on twitter and their stupid comments. If you put up responses like that then their insults or whatever had some affect on you. And that’s exactly what those degenerates wanted.

If you can get into a player’s head by posting on twitter then Justin Upton is going to be hearing from me shortly… Can’t wait to tell him how bad he is at having runners on base when he’s batting.

8. dondada10 - May 1, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Kudos to Bruce for his moderately accurate usage of the ellipsis.

• indaburg - May 1, 2013 at 3:39 PM

It was so good of him to show… so… much… restraint…

9. jm91rs - May 1, 2013 at 12:31 PM

“I appreciate all the tweets, good and bad, actually. You guys are what drive the game.”

He should have ended it there. Must have been very frustrated after the end of that game.

10. dkphilly1122 - May 1, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Philly will take you any day Jay…….you kill us every time we play the Reds…..and Charlie already has a man crush on you…..plus you’re better and strike out less than Howard…..and make a boatload less than he does.

11. stlouis1baseball - May 1, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Jay is a very sensitive dude. I would even say he is very soft-skinned. I have a buddy who lives and dies Reds baseball. Season ticket holder…travels to a lot of away games. Bruce gives him the finger everytime he see’s him at the park. Lol! True story.

• brucewaynewins - May 1, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Ha, that’s awesome. I have a friend who has a mega man crush on Jay Bruce. I told him to give him some twitter tlc or a hug.

• stlouis1baseball - May 2, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Full disclosure:
        My buddy collects BP balls and has them autographed. Huge collection. He and a few other guys went to see the Redlegs play the Diamondbacks (at Arizona) early in Bruce’s career. There were virtually no other Reds fans in the stadium (let alone their area). They are all decked out in their Reds gear….cheering on Bruce and the rest of the team during batting practice.
        Most of the teams starts signing and Bruce completely blows off my Buddy and the other guys. My buddy is like…”come on Bruce…we came all the way to Arizona to see you play.” Bruce just sort of shakes his head…mumbles something derogatory and is like…nah! Well…my buddy has a short fuse. Nicest guy in the world until you disrespect him. He and Bruce get into a shouting match. I wish I was there because I am sure the sight of Jay Bruce arguing with the only 5 Reds fans in the entire stadium was quite comical.
        I kid you not…to this day he and Jay Bruce greet each other with the one finger salute.
        As a season ticket holder…this happens all the time. Great stuff! Lol!

• thenaturalmevs - May 2, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Bruce is one of the most fan-friendly players in the entire league. I know his agent, know his family and have indirectly interacted with him.

You are a liar. I guarantee you are lying. Guarantee it. I am calling you a bloody liar right here.

I am a Reds fan–Jay Bruce is not a great player and as frustrating as a player can be at times–but what you just said and the story you just told? Embelished lie. I promise.

• stlouis1baseball - May 3, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Mev: I don’t care if you believe me or not. I have absolutely no reason to make anything up. Let alone go into an entire dissertation offering full disclosure with a second post.
        I take in a number Cardinals/Reds games ever year. I only live (born and raised) 1 1/2 hrs. west of Cincinnati. I am at the park all the time. I have witnessed it myself. It has been going on so long now it has morphed into a joke. Bruce is a cocky, arrogant, thin skinned ballplayer (as witnessed by this very article). One that is most definately NOT fan friendly. Dude…he even told some of his fellow players to not sign for my buddy. They don’t like each other. Of course…he is just one of hundreds of cocky, arrogant, thin skinned ballplayers.
        As for Bruce as a player…he could play right field for me anytime.
        You see…I call it like I see it. I never said he was a bad player. With some discipline he could top notch. Again…I call it like I see it. What I see is a comically biased homer redlegs fan. To the point of calling someone he doesn’t even know a liar. Wow.

• thenaturalmevs - May 3, 2013 at 5:17 PM

You aren’t paying attention if you are saying Bruce is cocky or arrogant – or you just don’t know. Also to say is he is not fan friendly is just so inaccurate and off base it’s not even funny.

I am not a “homer Reds fan” as you say. I have spent a large amount of time on my own blog calling out Jay Bruce for not living up expectations. The fact that you think he could be anything more than he has already shown to be is showing that you have not followed him closely. He has reached his ceiling. But to poke holes in how he treats fans and to say he is cocky and arrogant isn’t close to being accurate.

He is one of the most pleasant and accessible athletes that has played for the Reds since I have been going to the park in the 80’s. No questions asked.

He in fact; is not cocky. I have proof that he even doubts his own abilities at times to a fair degree from his own family members. He is not cocky nor arrogant. Maybe your friend is a jackass, I don’t know. But I HIGHLY doubt a professional ballplayer like Jay Bruce who in fact runs the Reds kids club is flipping your buddy the finger from right field each and every time he’s at the park.

You are looking like a liar.

• stlouis1baseball - May 3, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Again Mev…I simply do not care if you believe me or not. Again Mev…why would I make up something? And something as silly as this. Then…after my first post I post with full disclosure. Again Mev…this started early in his career and has gone on so long that it has turned almost into a joke between the two of them. Dude is a season ticket holder. Goes to every game (and numerous away games). He and Bruce see each other all the time. You keep preaching how approachable, accessessible, pleasant and fan friendly he is. Well Mev…you are the FIRST person I have ever heard or seen use these words in the same sentence as Jay Bruce. And then you put the he Reds kids club as proof of him not being cocky. Yeah Mev…there are NO athletes who run camps for kids (disadvantaged or otherwise) who also happen to be cocky, arrogant, jerks. Nope. You run a camp you must be a saint. Lol! Again Mev…look at this very article as proof. Once again…I take in several Cardinals/Reds games a year. Go with all my buddies (who are ALL Redlegs fans). A big difference between them and you…they are honest with themselves. Of course…they also don’t automatically lump Cardinals fans together as Reds haters. Jay Bruce has NOT reached his ceiling. He just needs to work harder and spend more time with your 1st Baseman on the finer points of hitting. I will leave you with once again stating I couldn’t care less if you believe me or not. I don’t know you. So it truly doesn’t matter to me. I just suggest you be honest with yourself. In other words…remove the Reds colored glasses.

12. djpostl - May 1, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I like how he seems to assume everyone can afford to pay some schmuck, er I mean “life coach” to hash things out with lol.

13. yahmule - May 1, 2013 at 3:47 PM

The cyber equivalent of rabbit ears.

• mazblast - May 1, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Seriously. People, especially prominent ones, should remember that the first four letters of Twitter are “twit”.

14. password1 - May 2, 2013 at 8:29 PM

wow. God bless Jay Bruce. I appreciate real men standing up for others! Once enough of you guys do this, we will all move on from worrying who’s gay n straight constantly being in the news. Jesus teaches absolute – full – unconditional LOVE. Live it!

GO REDS! 2013! ! !