May 1, 2013, 7:41 PM EDT
Michael Bourn had the stitches removed from his lacerated right hand last week, but the Cleveland center fielder is not exactly making swift progress.
According to MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian, Bourn still hasn’t been cleared for live batting practice and “there remains no clear timetable” for his return to the Indians’ active roster. Bourn will have to play several games in the minor leagues before being activated and a rehab assignment has not been scheduled.
Bourn was placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to April 15 and was officially eligible for activation on Tuesday.
Drew Stubbs, batting just .241/.307/.354 in 23 games this season, will continue to patrol center field.
Bourn signed a four-year, $48 million free agent contract with the Tribe in early February after hitting .274/.348/.391 with 42 stolen bases and a career-high nine home runs in 2012 with the Braves.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)