May 1, 2013, 7:41 PM EDT
Michael Bourn had the stitches removed from his lacerated right hand last week, but the Cleveland center fielder is not exactly making swift progress.
According to MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian, Bourn still hasn’t been cleared for live batting practice and “there remains no clear timetable” for his return to the Indians’ active roster. Bourn will have to play several games in the minor leagues before being activated and a rehab assignment has not been scheduled.
Bourn was placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to April 15 and was officially eligible for activation on Tuesday.
Drew Stubbs, batting just .241/.307/.354 in 23 games this season, will continue to patrol center field.
Bourn signed a four-year, $48 million free agent contract with the Tribe in early February after hitting .274/.348/.391 with 42 stolen bases and a career-high nine home runs in 2012 with the Braves.
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 20
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 72
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 46
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48