May 1, 2013, 7:41 PM EDT
Michael Bourn had the stitches removed from his lacerated right hand last week, but the Cleveland center fielder is not exactly making swift progress.
According to MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian, Bourn still hasn’t been cleared for live batting practice and “there remains no clear timetable” for his return to the Indians’ active roster. Bourn will have to play several games in the minor leagues before being activated and a rehab assignment has not been scheduled.
Bourn was placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to April 15 and was officially eligible for activation on Tuesday.
Drew Stubbs, batting just .241/.307/.354 in 23 games this season, will continue to patrol center field.
Bourn signed a four-year, $48 million free agent contract with the Tribe in early February after hitting .274/.348/.391 with 42 stolen bases and a career-high nine home runs in 2012 with the Braves.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 5
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 8
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 7
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)