May 1, 2013, 7:41 PM EDT
Michael Bourn had the stitches removed from his lacerated right hand last week, but the Cleveland center fielder is not exactly making swift progress.
According to MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian, Bourn still hasn’t been cleared for live batting practice and “there remains no clear timetable” for his return to the Indians’ active roster. Bourn will have to play several games in the minor leagues before being activated and a rehab assignment has not been scheduled.
Bourn was placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to April 15 and was officially eligible for activation on Tuesday.
Drew Stubbs, batting just .241/.307/.354 in 23 games this season, will continue to patrol center field.
Bourn signed a four-year, $48 million free agent contract with the Tribe in early February after hitting .274/.348/.391 with 42 stolen bases and a career-high nine home runs in 2012 with the Braves.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)