May 1, 2013, 7:41 PM EDT
Michael Bourn had the stitches removed from his lacerated right hand last week, but the Cleveland center fielder is not exactly making swift progress.
According to MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian, Bourn still hasn’t been cleared for live batting practice and “there remains no clear timetable” for his return to the Indians’ active roster. Bourn will have to play several games in the minor leagues before being activated and a rehab assignment has not been scheduled.
Bourn was placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to April 15 and was officially eligible for activation on Tuesday.
Drew Stubbs, batting just .241/.307/.354 in 23 games this season, will continue to patrol center field.
Bourn signed a four-year, $48 million free agent contract with the Tribe in early February after hitting .274/.348/.391 with 42 stolen bases and a career-high nine home runs in 2012 with the Braves.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)