May 1, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
He knows it’s not gonna happen. But he makes a damn fine point:
In England, soccer mirrors life. It’s the day-to-day excellence that marks greatness, not a three or four-week run to glory.
Well, I think we should bring some of that spirit to America … especially to baseball. I mean football is geared for the short season – 16 games, an intense playoffs, a Super Bowl, that’s why it’s the biggest thing in America. But they play 162 games in baseball. One hundred sixty two. I mean, seriously, that’s a lot of baseball games. No other sport plays so many.
That’s more than enough game to determine who are the best teams in baseball.
I feel that way. And not just because I root for a team that was quite often one of the best after 162 games yet only had one October Tournament win to show for it.
I love the World Series and all of the October drama, but I feel like it’s a completely separate season than the 162-game thing. The dynamic and rhythms of the whole exercise changes when the playoffs start. As do the strategies, the scheduling, the weather and just about everything that matters. I know the World Series crowns baseball’s champ, but I have always felt like the regular season tells you which baseball team is actually the best.
I’d be sad if the World Series were gone. But I’d get over it too.
UPDATE: Kay and I talked about this in a special HBT Extra today too:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 35
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (244)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)