May 1, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
He knows it’s not gonna happen. But he makes a damn fine point:
In England, soccer mirrors life. It’s the day-to-day excellence that marks greatness, not a three or four-week run to glory.
Well, I think we should bring some of that spirit to America … especially to baseball. I mean football is geared for the short season – 16 games, an intense playoffs, a Super Bowl, that’s why it’s the biggest thing in America. But they play 162 games in baseball. One hundred sixty two. I mean, seriously, that’s a lot of baseball games. No other sport plays so many.
That’s more than enough game to determine who are the best teams in baseball.
I feel that way. And not just because I root for a team that was quite often one of the best after 162 games yet only had one October Tournament win to show for it.
I love the World Series and all of the October drama, but I feel like it’s a completely separate season than the 162-game thing. The dynamic and rhythms of the whole exercise changes when the playoffs start. As do the strategies, the scheduling, the weather and just about everything that matters. I know the World Series crowns baseball’s champ, but I have always felt like the regular season tells you which baseball team is actually the best.
I’d be sad if the World Series were gone. But I’d get over it too.
UPDATE: Kay and I talked about this in a special HBT Extra today too:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 12
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 11
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 11
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 74
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)