Sorry guys: you’re gonna have to wait a bit to see Delmon Young play the outfield

May 1, 2013, 5:02 PM EST

Delmon Young made his 2013 debut last night at DH and the word was that he was going to play the outfield in tonight’s game against the Indians. Sadly, he is at DH again. Why?

I dunno. Given how well he uses that throwing arm while it’s healthy, I don’t know that it’s much of a loss.

OK, I’ve hated enough. As I mentioned on HBT Daily earlier today, I am actually encouraged after seeing the trimmed-down Delmon in last night’s game. The last time he trimmed down was in 2010 and he had a great season.  If he can produce anything close to that and can be anything other than a defensive disaster in right, the Young pickup could prove to be a pretty savvy one.

There. I said something about all of this that is honest and not hateful or snarky or anything. I feel like I should go take a shower or something, but even I have to do difficult things sometimes.

1. phisticuffs - May 1, 2013 at 5:09 PM

A baseball priest would tell you to say something negative about Ryan Howard 10 times, and go and sin no more.

• historiophiliac - May 1, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I don’t want to tell you how to do your job, father, but shouldn’t there be some Rivera hailing or something in there too?

2. El Bravo - May 1, 2013 at 5:11 PM

The Phillies suck.

• phisticuffs - May 1, 2013 at 5:16 PM

That’s some old school analysis. Today’s fan wants to know whether they suck above or below replacement. I think they’ll be somewhat better than last year’s .500 finish, so I’ll go with sucking below replacement (is it is the other way around?).

• El Bravo - May 1, 2013 at 5:18 PM

The Phillies blow.

• evanwins - May 1, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Yeah, the Braves have been great the past 6 years. How man World Series have they won in that time? None? Hmmm. Well how many League Championships have they won? Zero? You’re kidding me. Well surely you must have some Division titles in recent memory…What’s that, Goose Egg again? OUCH!

Well sir. If the Phillies suck, then what’s that say about the Braves?

It’s a long season so don’t start the parade yet.

Hey, you remember game 162 of 2011, right? You’d think the Phils would have shamed you into humility but I guess some never learn.

• El Bravo - May 1, 2013 at 5:46 PM

It really is too easy with the Phillies phanbase… Why so senstive? I said nothing of the Braves here. I just know for an absolute fact that your team both sucks and blows and your fanbase is on about the same level of sucktitude as the team.

• evanwins - May 1, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Hey, who makes $12M and is hitting .143 with an OBP of .225 and an INCREDIBLE OPS+ of 37?
        How about this one: $13M for a .169 avg and 71 OPS+?
        Ohh, this is a good one: $3.5M for a .121 avg and a 44 OPS+?

Yeah, the Braves are gonna stay in 1st all season. And postseason? Really? with that?

• hisgirlgotburrelled - May 2, 2013 at 10:04 AM

What would a Braves fan know about a fan base?

• hisgirlgotburrelled - May 2, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Wait, that’s “weak sauce.” I shouldn’t shame the lack of Braves fans, according to Craig. But, please comment on about our fans sucking because, well just because.

3. tfbuckfutter - May 1, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Delmon should think about breaking his throwing arm, and having it repaired by the doctor from Rookie of the Year.

That would be funky butt lovin.

4. pkswally024 - May 1, 2013 at 5:50 PM

El Bravo has no life. Don’t mind him.

• historiophiliac - May 1, 2013 at 9:29 PM

What have you offered on here that’s better than keeping the douchenozzle list for us?

5. mazblast - May 1, 2013 at 5:53 PM

DY in the Phils’ outfield may prove to be the funniest thing there since Lonnie “Skates” Smith. All that talent and no clue how to use it on defense.

6. cocheese000 - May 1, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Why is Craig so obsessed with delmon young?

• tfbuckfutter - May 1, 2013 at 7:20 PM

For the same reason Firejoemorgan was so obsessed with Joe Morgan (and terrible baseball journalism in general)…..because he has, up to this point anyway, been mostly terrible at a job that people keep letting him do which makes him rife for mocking…..

Or, if you want a shorter answer…..because fuck the heck not?

• cocheese000 - May 1, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I am very confused.

• tfbuckfutter - May 1, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I assume you aren’t familiar with it, so please enjoy the some of the best goddamn blogging the internet has seen.

Also, a couple of the guys from there ended up writing and/or producing the wonderful show Parks and Recreation….I don’t know their exact roles in the show though.

• cocheese000 - May 1, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Lol classic stuff there. +1

• sagnam - May 1, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Every single Delmon Young post should contain this gif

• sagnam - May 1, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Or as he was lovingly know to Detroit fans in the end, elmon Young.

7. breastfedted - May 1, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Craig is a tool. FACT.

• tfbuckfutter - May 1, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Is that how that works?

Awesome.

Megan Fox is my wife. FACT.

8. baseballisboring - May 1, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Agreed but let’s relax on the “great” 2010 thing. He hit .293/.333/.493 with awful defense, good for 1.6 WAR. That’s worth 750K though.

9. phillyphannn83 - May 1, 2013 at 11:33 PM

How about retracting your hating on the Michael Young signing?? He leads the team in Batting average(.326) and On Base Percentage(.396) and is second in OPS(.796)
    His batting average is 5th in the NL(min 90 AB’s) and his on base percentage is 10th(min 90 AB’s). His OBP is also 2nd among NL 3B(min 90 AB’s).

10. therealtrenches - May 2, 2013 at 7:27 AM

The hating on Delmon Is funny bc even us Phillies fans have no real defense for it.

But when buckfutter leaps to Craig’s defense with such instantaneous passion, as if she’s Craig’s girlfriend or something, as she has done above, it renders accusations of sensitivity among Phillies fans nonsensical.

Craig, these screen names who defend you…how do you keep track of all the passwords, man? And do you refer to them as the Craig-ettes?

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4104)