May 1, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT
Delmon Young made his 2013 debut last night at DH and the word was that he was going to play the outfield in tonight’s game against the Indians. Sadly, he is at DH again. Why?
Delmon Young was going to play RF today but was plunked on his throwing arm last night. It’s sore. No guarantees on RF for Thursday.
— Matt Gelb (@magelb) May 1, 2013
I dunno. Given how well he uses that throwing arm while it’s healthy, I don’t know that it’s much of a loss.
OK, I’ve hated enough. As I mentioned on HBT Daily earlier today, I am actually encouraged after seeing the trimmed-down Delmon in last night’s game. The last time he trimmed down was in 2010 and he had a great season. If he can produce anything close to that and can be anything other than a defensive disaster in right, the Young pickup could prove to be a pretty savvy one.
There. I said something about all of this that is honest and not hateful or snarky or anything. I feel like I should go take a shower or something, but even I have to do difficult things sometimes.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 9
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 143
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39