May 1, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
The Tigers early season bullpen overhaul continued as Phil Coke was moved to the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 26, with a left groin strain. In his place they bring in Jose Ortega from Toledo.
Ortega pitched two whole innings for the Tigers last year. Struck out four dudes, though. In Triple-A so far this season he’s allowed only one unearned run in 1 innings while striking out 19. That’s up from his minor league norms. His walk rate is down too, though still higher than you’d like to see in a reliever.
But it’s a potential plus for the Tigers: the chance to check out a live arm who could help later this season while simultaneously preventing Jim Leyland from using Phil Coke in situations other than lefty-on-left action.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (85)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (78)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (74)