May 1, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
The Tigers early season bullpen overhaul continued as Phil Coke was moved to the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 26, with a left groin strain. In his place they bring in Jose Ortega from Toledo.
Ortega pitched two whole innings for the Tigers last year. Struck out four dudes, though. In Triple-A so far this season he’s allowed only one unearned run in 1 innings while striking out 19. That’s up from his minor league norms. His walk rate is down too, though still higher than you’d like to see in a reliever.
But it’s a potential plus for the Tigers: the chance to check out a live arm who could help later this season while simultaneously preventing Jim Leyland from using Phil Coke in situations other than lefty-on-left action.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 6
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)