May 1, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
The Tigers early season bullpen overhaul continued as Phil Coke was moved to the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 26, with a left groin strain. In his place they bring in Jose Ortega from Toledo.
Ortega pitched two whole innings for the Tigers last year. Struck out four dudes, though. In Triple-A so far this season he’s allowed only one unearned run in 1 innings while striking out 19. That’s up from his minor league norms. His walk rate is down too, though still higher than you’d like to see in a reliever.
But it’s a potential plus for the Tigers: the chance to check out a live arm who could help later this season while simultaneously preventing Jim Leyland from using Phil Coke in situations other than lefty-on-left action.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 62
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 80
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11