May 1, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
That’s the name Jorge Arangure proposes for the past couple of decades over at Sports on Earth. And he makes a lot of sense, noting that not unlike Forrest Gump, Tejada has been involved in nearly every notable controversy, movement, trend or occurrence over the course of his career.
His poor Dominican roots mirror those of the players who have literally changed the face of Major League Baseball (as did his role in an age-lying scandal). He was on the “Moneyball” A’s. He was involved in BALCO and The Mitchell Report. He also represents a breed of players who some figured would just go away but never have: guys who made their millions and ceased being superstars but continued to hang on and transform into a role player because, despite what people like to claim about rich athletes, he really, really loves to play baseball.
It’s a nice full profile of a player who, like a lot of Latin ballplayers, unfortunately, we’ve only really gotten to know in caricature. Kudos to Arangure for writing profiles like this and bringing us the stories of players who, for multiple reasons, tend to be kept at arm’s length from most fans.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)