May 1, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
That’s the name Jorge Arangure proposes for the past couple of decades over at Sports on Earth. And he makes a lot of sense, noting that not unlike Forrest Gump, Tejada has been involved in nearly every notable controversy, movement, trend or occurrence over the course of his career.
His poor Dominican roots mirror those of the players who have literally changed the face of Major League Baseball (as did his role in an age-lying scandal). He was on the “Moneyball” A’s. He was involved in BALCO and The Mitchell Report. He also represents a breed of players who some figured would just go away but never have: guys who made their millions and ceased being superstars but continued to hang on and transform into a role player because, despite what people like to claim about rich athletes, he really, really loves to play baseball.
It’s a nice full profile of a player who, like a lot of Latin ballplayers, unfortunately, we’ve only really gotten to know in caricature. Kudos to Arangure for writing profiles like this and bringing us the stories of players who, for multiple reasons, tend to be kept at arm’s length from most fans.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 37
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 95
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (97)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)