May 1, 2013, 10:38 PM EDT
Nelson was designated for assignment by Colorado on April 28 to clear a roster spot for the arrival of top third base prospect Nolan Arenado. Nelson was batting just .242/.282/.318 in 71 plate appearances this season with the Rockies, but he had an .810 OPS in 377 plate appearances last year and can play all around the infield for New York.
Nelson has started 102 games at third base, 44 games at second base and two games at shortstop over the course of his four-year major league career. He’ll play primarily at third while Kevin Youkilis (back) is out.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)