May 1, 2013, 10:38 PM EDT
Nelson was designated for assignment by Colorado on April 28 to clear a roster spot for the arrival of top third base prospect Nolan Arenado. Nelson was batting just .242/.282/.318 in 71 plate appearances this season with the Rockies, but he had an .810 OPS in 377 plate appearances last year and can play all around the infield for New York.
Nelson has started 102 games at third base, 44 games at second base and two games at shortstop over the course of his four-year major league career. He’ll play primarily at third while Kevin Youkilis (back) is out.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 0
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 14
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 50
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)