May 1, 2013, 10:38 PM EDT
Nelson was designated for assignment by Colorado on April 28 to clear a roster spot for the arrival of top third base prospect Nolan Arenado. Nelson was batting just .242/.282/.318 in 71 plate appearances this season with the Rockies, but he had an .810 OPS in 377 plate appearances last year and can play all around the infield for New York.
Nelson has started 102 games at third base, 44 games at second base and two games at shortstop over the course of his four-year major league career. He’ll play primarily at third while Kevin Youkilis (back) is out.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)