May 1, 2013, 10:38 PM EDT
Nelson was designated for assignment by Colorado on April 28 to clear a roster spot for the arrival of top third base prospect Nolan Arenado. Nelson was batting just .242/.282/.318 in 71 plate appearances this season with the Rockies, but he had an .810 OPS in 377 plate appearances last year and can play all around the infield for New York.
Nelson has started 102 games at third base, 44 games at second base and two games at shortstop over the course of his four-year major league career. He’ll play primarily at third while Kevin Youkilis (back) is out.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 15
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 71
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 13
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 92
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)