May 1, 2013, 10:38 PM EDT
Nelson was designated for assignment by Colorado on April 28 to clear a roster spot for the arrival of top third base prospect Nolan Arenado. Nelson was batting just .242/.282/.318 in 71 plate appearances this season with the Rockies, but he had an .810 OPS in 377 plate appearances last year and can play all around the infield for New York.
Nelson has started 102 games at third base, 44 games at second base and two games at shortstop over the course of his four-year major league career. He’ll play primarily at third while Kevin Youkilis (back) is out.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 1
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 19
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 36
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 42
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (186)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)