Alex Rodriguez cleared for baseball activity

May 2, 2013, 4:02 PM EDT

But wait … I thought he was so broken down and decrepit that he was gonna retire and ask the Yankees to keep the $114 million they owe him. So confused!

Now I’m just gonna sit back and wait for all the columnists who lapped up the Yankees front office rebop designed to shame A-Rod into retirement to recant their “we’ll never see A-Rod play baseball again” stuff from the offseason.

Might be waiting a while, but I got nowhere to go.

1. uyf1950 - May 2, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I understand A-Rod did tell the Yankees they could keep the $100 plus MM dollars. But they refused and told him what’s $100MM among friends.

2. 13arod - May 2, 2013 at 4:15 PM

he siad if he couldn’t come back dummys

• manute - May 2, 2013 at 4:31 PM

yeah stoopids

• uwsptke - May 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Hay, leaf him a loan!

• caeser12 - May 2, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Stob meffin wib hem.

• badintent - May 3, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Gotta be de Bath Salts…………..again

• Ralph - May 2, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Hey man, how about heading down to Best Buy and picking up a new keyboard? Yours is consistently making you look like a moron, with its stuck keys. It is the keyboard…..right?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 2, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Nah, more like a terrible case of PEBKAC syndrome. It’s been going around recently.

• Ralph - May 2, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Yeah, for about the past 20 years…

3. largebill - May 2, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I hope he is able to return from this surgery as he did the one on the other hip. I never quite understood the A-Rod hatred

• anxovies - May 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Nor do I. He doesn’t appear nearly as vain, arrogant or foolish as some baseball players and other sports figures and trains and plays as hard as anybody in the game, but the haters don’t seem to know or care. It probably stems from his big contract with the Rangers before other athletes got similar money, but which of his detractors would turn down $275 million if offered? Mostly, I think the anti-ARod crowd are just dumb, lazy, chronic haters who pick somebody to despise in order to distract them from their own lives.

4. tycobbfromfangraphs - May 2, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I’m guessing if A-Rod comes back to put up a line like Ortiz everyone here will be as happy and supportive as they are of Big Papi right? Perhaps someone will point out how many tests A-Rod has passed as proof of his cleanliness. That would be amusing to read, Barry Bonds and Lance Armstrong are big supporters of clean test = clean player.

5. cackalackyank - May 2, 2013 at 4:30 PM

So A-rod is coming back to Tampa…. I still do not see this going real well…he will probably be just about to try action in a rehab game the end of next month…and a letter will come special delivery from the commisioner’s office…”you are cordially invited to come on in and chat about that clinic…ooh and by the way you can take the next 50 games or so off…”

• jwbiii - May 2, 2013 at 4:52 PM

You mean the same ones that Ryan Braun and Gio Gonzalez got?

• cackalackyank - May 2, 2013 at 4:59 PM

They could still get them…just ask the committee working on the A’s stadium situation about how Bud rushes things along….

• anxovies - May 2, 2013 at 5:54 PM

See my post above.

• cackalackyank - May 2, 2013 at 6:03 PM

OK post seen, not sure I see the connection. Nothing about my post says anything hateful about A-rod. It would not surprise me at all, however, if someone in the “commishes” office decides to wait on this thing until all the involved are ready/able to play. That’s not hate for A-rod that’s just a view of how the top of MLB screws around with certain situations.

6. bigharold - May 2, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Where’s Len??

OK, I’ll do it, .. Leave A-Rod Alone!

7. historiophiliac - May 2, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Doom!

8. 13arod - May 2, 2013 at 5:58 PM

you are stupied jwbiii gio was already taken off because the figured out it was his father pay attention

• buggieowens - May 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM

If you can’t spell “stupid,” then you certainly shouldn’t be calling someone else “stupid.”

• evanwins - May 2, 2013 at 8:41 PM

No, he spelled it right, you read it wrong. Stupied is like stupid only it’s pied, like in apple pie; stupied. I think it’s part of southern vernacular…like y’all or siad (see 12arod comment above).

• jwbiii - May 2, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I figured it had something to do with the French nursery rhyme that begins “Pied terre, pied terre pomp qui ne terre”

• Ralph - May 2, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Like I said above, dude….new keyboard. Your shift key and punctuation keys are obviously missing or broken and it makes you look like you have an IQ of 16, when it’s obviously MUCH higher than that. Probably at least in the 20s.

• historiophiliac - May 2, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I think he’s like 13 — not that that’s an excuse, but maybe bear that in mind?

• badintent - May 2, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Please don’t pick on 13arod, the doctor delievering him dropped him on his head. Twice

• Ralph - May 2, 2013 at 9:52 PM

‘philiac, if that’s the case then I don’t see how that’s any better. He’d be in high school around that age and should be able to read, write, and communicate a somewhat intelligible thought by that point. Either that or he should keep his hands off the keyboard. Even fools seem smart when they are quiet.

• abaird2012 - May 3, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Don’t scare him off. He’s great entertainment.

9. jeffa43 - May 2, 2013 at 6:17 PM

A-Fraud…

That is enough reason to dislike him.

That or the GQ photo of him kissing himself in a mirror.

10. dcarroll73 - May 2, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Not to rain on the Yankee haters parade, but don’t we still have things like “due process” and “innocent until PROVEN guilty” in this country? Personally I don’t want a jackass like Bud Selig going all Kenisaw Mountain Landis on people without a rock-solid case. Hey Lawyer Craig, how about it? You did point out that MLB, despite their occasional delusions, does not have some sort of governmental power (maybe that inexplicable exemption from the anti-trust laws makes them think they are not governed by the Constitution as well?)

11. theskinsman - May 3, 2013 at 4:52 AM

Thanks for the smile,A-Rod’s cousin. Relax, no matter how many years Afraud cheats,he gets a pass while he wears pinstripes. Anyway, he’s cleared to begin juicing,er, his regular activities.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet