Blue Jays lose Josh Johnson to DL, call up Ricky Romero

May 2, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT

Josh Johnson AP

More bad news for the Blue Jays, who placed Josh Johnson on the disabled list with a triceps injury after initially holding out hope that he could start Friday. Instead they’ll call up Ricky Romero, who’d been banished to the minors after a miserable 2012 season that saw him go 1-13 with a 7.35 ERA in his final 17 starts.

Johnson hasn’t been himself all season, posting a 6.86 ERA while allowing opponents to hit .320 off him, and was scratched from his scheduled start last Friday. An MRI exam showed no structural damage, but he’ll but shut down for at least a couple weeks.

Of the five players the Blue Jays acquired in the blockbuster Marlins trade Johnson and Jose Reyes are on the disabled list, Mark Buehrle has a 6.43 ERA, Emilio Bonifacio is hitting .179, and John Buck is having a career-year … for the Mets.

1. cur68 - May 2, 2013 at 2:23 PM

/sobbing

• Francisco (FC) - May 2, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Sheldon Cooper: There, there.

• nbjays - May 2, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I agree, Cur. Or as Historiophiliac might say (and probably will)…

(doom)

• historiophiliac - May 2, 2013 at 7:41 PM

What? There’s no such thing as Canadian doom. Stop blubbering. Are you beavermen or are you clawless cats? Suck it up.

• proudlycanadian - May 2, 2013 at 3:05 PM

We will see how Ricky does. The early reports on his minor league debut were good.

• cur68 - May 2, 2013 at 3:36 PM

This is not the season we envisioned, eh? Well, they have to get better, right? Can’t get much worse.

• nbjays - May 2, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Pretty much nowhere to go but up.

2. zzalapski - May 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM

What is it with catchers making a pit stop in Toronto for five minutes, then having a career year elsewhere?

• timsabourin - May 2, 2013 at 4:20 PM

79% sure it’s Stephen Harper’s fault

3. Reflex - May 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I said this before when people went on about the Jays, but I don’t see it. Its a lot of guys who underperformed last year. Even if half of them lived up to expectations, I don’t see how its enough. I think they will improve, but I do not see them in the playoffs despite their binge.

And its too bad, I’d love to see a year without the Yanks or Red Sox in the playoffs.

• caeser12 - May 2, 2013 at 2:57 PM

2008: Yankees missed the playoffs

2011: Sox missed the playoffs

1993: Both missed the playoffs.

Wish granted.

• Reflex - May 2, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Mebbe I’d have rather see that be the norm than the exception? I’d love to see the Orioles/Jays/Rays fighting it out for a few years while the Sox and Yanks rebuild.

4. randygnyc - May 2, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Fleeced. Even if the marlins got nothing back. It was an impossibility for Reyes to EVER play up to his contract, even if 100% healthy. Someone else’s garbage is still garbage.

• proudlycanadian - May 2, 2013 at 3:03 PM

In other news, the Yankees have added Joba Chamberlain to their DL.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 2, 2013 at 3:15 PM

So the Yankees are 17-10 with an entire all-star team on the DL, and you think losing their 7th inning reliever for a few weeks is going to make anyone break a sweat??

Meanwhile, Toronto’s biggest problem last year was health, so they traded for some of the most injury-prone players in the game right now in Johnson and Reyes, and then made another trade for a 38 year old pitcher who is missing an elbow ligament. Defies logic, I tell ya.

• Old Gator - May 2, 2013 at 3:15 PM

You have to keep in mind that it wasn’t anything “back” that the Feesh really wanted. It was a payroll dump, plain and seemple. And that, they got.

• nbjays - May 2, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Unfortunately that payroll dump came with a fanbase dump and the subsequent income slump… but Loria had to know that would happen.

5. El Bravo - May 2, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I’m not sure what the Jays were expecting from JJ, but this is certainly what I expected.

6. buffalomafia - May 2, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Toronto has great strip clubs! Oh we are talking baseball!!! Lol!

7. 13arod - May 2, 2013 at 2:53 PM

if they wren’t doing good with the marlins then why did you trade for them?????

• Old Gator - May 2, 2013 at 3:18 PM

With the exception of Black Hole Buck, they were all “doing good” for the Feesh. Reyes batted well over .300 after a slow start, especially after the break. Buehrle ate his usual slab of innings. Bonifacio had a fine year, stole a lot of bases and played a pretty good center field as well as first base. JJ was getting stronger and his velocity was coming back up after surgery. And the Feather Lice unloaded Buck as quickly as they could. Buck got off to a “career” year with the Mutts but he’s cooled down substantially of late, and looks like he’s on the way back to his usual .225 batting average by Memorial Day. Yes, he will hit occasional home runs – he always swings hard, especially when he should be bunting.

8. Old Gator - May 2, 2013 at 3:19 PM

EDIT – Bonifacio played second base, not first.

9. historiophiliac - May 2, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Is it wrong that I started reading Jays posts so I can check out harry’s trolls?

• xavier46 - May 2, 2013 at 6:50 PM

If doing it is wrong, I’m guilty as charged.

A close second is watching proudlycanadian get defensive. I can’t figure out what irks the guy more: the Jays losing or the Yanks and Sox winning.

10. randygnyc - May 2, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Proudly and Cur are 2 of the best posters on this site. I pledge a blue Jays moratorium. It’s not fun anymore and I’m feeling guilty.

• historiophiliac - May 2, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Boooo!!!

/throws popcorn

• nbjays - May 2, 2013 at 11:09 PM

If you are feeling guilty, Randy, tell your Yankees to lose a few… :-)

11. Shayna - May 2, 2013 at 9:45 PM

The worst was watching Buehrle crying in the dugout after being taken out of yesterday’s game. A Sad Moment. I knew the expectations were excessive but whoever expected them to fall off the edge of a cliff like this!?

12. evnest - May 3, 2013 at 3:06 PM

This Blue Jays season has been nothing short of a disgrace to the city of Toronto. I’m embarrassed for the team, the players, the management and the fans. I understand being “cold” but this is beyond reparable, and utterly unacceptable, especially from a team who NEEDS to be competitive in order to gain relevance in a hockey centered sports town.

13. evnest - May 3, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3388)