Bryce Harper sounds OK, but Davey Johnson may still hold him out

May 2, 2013, 9:40 AM EST

harper nationals getty Getty Images

Bryce Harper was pulled from last night’s game due to a bruised side, But Mark Zuckerman spoke to him and he sounds like he’s good to go for today’s game against the Braves:

“If I can play tomorrow, I’m gonna play,” Harper said. “If they put me in the lineup, I’m gonna play. I can play with pain and I can tolerate pain, so hopefully there’s nothing that can keep me out of that lineup tomorrow.”

That’s brave talk, but it sounds like his manager is inclined to keep him out:

“We’ll take it day-by-day and we’ll check him tomorrow,” Johnson said. “But he’ll probably be out of there.”

He’s been basically the entire offense for the first month of the season. No one gets any awards for running him out there hurt. If I’m running that team, he takes a break today so he doesn’t break tomorrow or later in the season.

1. voteforno6 - May 2, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Davey is usually cautious about rushing back injured players. On the other hand, Harper is known to really bug people about playing when he’s not in the lineup. I guess we’ll see who wins this argument.

2. heyblueyoustink - May 2, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I saw the picture of the invincible Bryce Heracles Harper and this image came to mind:

• El Bravo - May 2, 2013 at 10:16 AM

is that rocksteady or bebop? i never can remember.

• heyblueyoustink - May 2, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Bebop. I admit I had to look that one up myself because he looks rocksteady.

3. goskinsvt - May 2, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Players were describing the wall he ran into 2 nights ago chasing down that ball as a ‘cheese grater’. Fun times.

4. hasbeen5 - May 2, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Harper was visibly pissed that he came out of the game. I don’t know if this is allowed, but I’m going to go ahead and call him gritty even though he’ll probably be a perpetual MVP candidate and not a defensive replacement.

5. davem23 - May 2, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Rub some dirt on it! This is a playoff game, then take the whole Pittsburgh series off.

6. kevinbnyc - May 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Shut him down for the season. Can’t risk the young talent.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2727)
  2. W. Myers (2465)
  3. C. McGehee (2074)
  4. D. Ross (2064)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1928)
  1. J. Shields (1815)