May 2, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Former big-league pitcher turned author Dick Hayhurst, who currently does some radio work for the Blue Jays, accused Red Sox starter Clay Buchholz of doctoring the baseball in last night’s win in Toronto.
Forget the hair, I just saw video of Buchholz loading the ball with some Eddie Harris worthy slick’em painted up his left forearm. Wow.
— Dirk Hayhurst (@TheGarfoose) May 2, 2013
Buchholz, the AL Pitcher of the Month for April, and manager John Farrell alike denied those claims today. Evan Drellich of MassLive.com has Buchholz’s quote:
There’s a rosin bag behind the mound and it’s there for everybody to use every inning after our warm-up. Put rosin on my arm throughout the game. Sweat, water, whatever. … Sometimes I put a little thing of water on my hip just to get moisture on your hands. Cause sometimes the balls that they throw to you feel like cue balls off a pool table. Got to find a way to get grip. But yeah, I mean, definitely no foreign objects or substances on my arm.
Hayhurst seems to be the only one who believes Buchholz is doing anything illegal. As the Boston Globe’s Peter Abraham pointed out, no team has asked to check the baseball any time Buchholz has thrown this year. Maybe some team will now with the idea that it will throw him off, if nothing else.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 19
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 19
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)