May 2, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Former big-league pitcher turned author Dick Hayhurst, who currently does some radio work for the Blue Jays, accused Red Sox starter Clay Buchholz of doctoring the baseball in last night’s win in Toronto.
Forget the hair, I just saw video of Buchholz loading the ball with some Eddie Harris worthy slick’em painted up his left forearm. Wow.
— Dirk Hayhurst (@TheGarfoose) May 2, 2013
Buchholz, the AL Pitcher of the Month for April, and manager John Farrell alike denied those claims today. Evan Drellich of MassLive.com has Buchholz’s quote:
There’s a rosin bag behind the mound and it’s there for everybody to use every inning after our warm-up. Put rosin on my arm throughout the game. Sweat, water, whatever. … Sometimes I put a little thing of water on my hip just to get moisture on your hands. Cause sometimes the balls that they throw to you feel like cue balls off a pool table. Got to find a way to get grip. But yeah, I mean, definitely no foreign objects or substances on my arm.
Hayhurst seems to be the only one who believes Buchholz is doing anything illegal. As the Boston Globe’s Peter Abraham pointed out, no team has asked to check the baseball any time Buchholz has thrown this year. Maybe some team will now with the idea that it will throw him off, if nothing else.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 40
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 29
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 78
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week (80)