May 2, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Former big-league pitcher turned author Dick Hayhurst, who currently does some radio work for the Blue Jays, accused Red Sox starter Clay Buchholz of doctoring the baseball in last night’s win in Toronto.
Forget the hair, I just saw video of Buchholz loading the ball with some Eddie Harris worthy slick’em painted up his left forearm. Wow.
— Dirk Hayhurst (@TheGarfoose) May 2, 2013
Buchholz, the AL Pitcher of the Month for April, and manager John Farrell alike denied those claims today. Evan Drellich of MassLive.com has Buchholz’s quote:
There’s a rosin bag behind the mound and it’s there for everybody to use every inning after our warm-up. Put rosin on my arm throughout the game. Sweat, water, whatever. … Sometimes I put a little thing of water on my hip just to get moisture on your hands. Cause sometimes the balls that they throw to you feel like cue balls off a pool table. Got to find a way to get grip. But yeah, I mean, definitely no foreign objects or substances on my arm.
Hayhurst seems to be the only one who believes Buchholz is doing anything illegal. As the Boston Globe’s Peter Abraham pointed out, no team has asked to check the baseball any time Buchholz has thrown this year. Maybe some team will now with the idea that it will throw him off, if nothing else.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 21
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 60
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)