David Ortiz is batting .487 and has a 22-game hitting streak dating back to 2012

May 2, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT

Salvador Perez, David Ortiz AP

David Ortiz has been on fire since returning from the disabled list to make his 2013 debut, hitting .487 with three homers and seven doubles in 10 games for an incredible 1.409 OPS.

Ortiz missed nearly the entire second half of last season, but he ended the year with a hitting streak that has now stretched to 22 games dating back to July 2. That’s a career-long streak for Ortiz at age 37 and Chris Toman of MLB.com notes that it’s the longest streak by a designated hitter since Paul Molitor had a hit in 39 straight games in 1987.

Hitting streaks can often be kind of silly and obviously Ortiz isn’t making a run at Joe DiMaggio, but what he’s done since coming off the DL is ridiculous and the fact that his streak picked up from last July just makes it even more impressive following such a long layoff.

Since the beginning of 2012 he’s now hitting .336 with 26 homers, 33 doubles, and a 1.067 OPS in 100 games.

1. beefytrout - May 2, 2013 at 11:04 AM

This is his f**king year.

2. apmn - May 2, 2013 at 11:14 AM

It is uber-silly to call this a 22 game hitting streak and be “doubly” impressed by it. He is a great hitter, and probabilities dictate that this scenario of two consecutive, shorter hitting streaks separated by a significant time interval will occur for him.

• tycobbfromfangraphs - May 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM

• 18thstreet - May 2, 2013 at 12:03 PM

This is why MLB should publish every PED test, not just the positives. The fact is, I don’t know and you don’t know. But David Ortiz, presumably, took a PED test in the last 6 months and it came back negative. And it would be nice to be able to point this out right now.

PS — As if Ty Cobb wouldn’t have used steroids.

• Kevin Gillman - May 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Ty Cobb shot someone. What a role model.

• historiophiliac - May 2, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Just because I can:

Who did Cobb shoot?

• nothanksimdriving123 - May 2, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Histo, Cobb probably shot no one. His mom shot his dad in 1905. In 1912, there was an apparent carjacking of Cobb and his wife. Accounts from the time vary as to their escape but include no reports of anyone being killed. Decades later, Cobb claimed he had beaten to death one of the thugs. Here’s some salt with which to take this story, though of course, I don’t recall anyone ever nominating him for a sportsmanship award.

• nesuperfan - May 2, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Here is a good recounting of the Cobb carjacking/mugging incident described above:

It sounds more like it was boasting than a killing.

• tycobbfromfangraphs - May 2, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Oh my mercy me LOL, did some just post some clap trap about Ortiz passing a drug test and it has 30 ups and zero downs.

Lemme rush to contact Lance Armstrong so we can all have a good chuckle over clean tests.

Seriously? You SERIOUSLY think that clean tests are proof of something? WOW

• historiophiliac - May 2, 2013 at 9:47 PM

That was kinda my point, nothanks. People say that so I want to ask for the forensic evidence…which people never can provide. I’m not saying Cobb was a nice guy, but it’s sloppy history to go around saying he killed someone.

• tycobbfromfangraphs - May 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM

A 37 year old with a wRC+ of 170 over a 100 game stretch is all the evidence I need. Baseball has been played for a long time and I’m nearly certain only 1 other hitter has even done that, and it’s Bonds.
        Everyone else regresses except these two?
        Guilty

3. baseballicious - May 2, 2013 at 11:29 AM

…and if you’re superstitious, the hitting streak will now end. (i hope not, though).

4. tycobbfromfangraphs - May 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM

If Oritz has a 22 game hitting streak then Wade Boggs and Tony Gywnn both batted .400

• dondada10 - May 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Care to explain?

• Glenn - May 2, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Really? Batting averages are for a season. Streaks end when a player doesn’t do whatever it is that they are streaking. Different definitions and boundaries.

• tycobbfromfangraphs - May 2, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Boggs and Gwynn both had 162 game “streaks” where they maintained a .400 average.

And Batting averages are for a game, a week a month, a year and a career.

5. xpensivewinos - May 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM

To hit the ball as well as he has considering the long layoff is really impressive. Everything he hits is an absolute missile right now. He’s more than earning the money the Red Sox gave him. Remember, not that long ago when most people thought the Red Sox were essentially paying him for past performance?

The dude can still rake and he hits lefties now better than ever.

Can he stay healthy? That’s the question……

6. tycobbfromfangraphs - May 2, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Oh and David Ortiz is yet another cheater no different than the rest. So I’m guessing he’s cheating yet again. He was clean a couple years ago and a 120 and 100 wRC+ player and now at 36-37 he’s back to 170? Ya right. He’s as filthy as the rest, why do people treat him differently than every other repeating cheat?

• 18thstreet - May 2, 2013 at 12:18 PM

so glad you posted this at 11:51, and at 11:52 you posted “Why should anyone be impressed by a guy who is obviously back to cheating again?”

The second time was the most helpful.

• tycobbfromfangraphs - May 2, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Your mom stopped by and had distracted me with her begging and pleading. Tell us again how much faith you put into MLB or any drug testing program so she I can can have another laugh at your gullibility.

• 18thstreet - May 2, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Well the jerk store called and they’re running out of you.

• 18thstreet - May 2, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Well, the jerk store called and they’re running out of you.

7. drelms - May 2, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Must be a lot of Yankee fans here complaining about cheaters they should know full well what it’s like to have a bunch of players that will do whatever they can, right or wrong to win a game. Jeter admitting that it’s okay to give people the impression he was hit by a pitch even though he knows he wasn’t because the name of the game is getting on base. That’s when you lie people. How about that piece of work third baseman who knocked the ball out of the first baseman’s hands as he ran by, or screamed in the ear of a third baseman trying to make a catch.
    Ortiz is killing it on the field cleanly, and my money is on any bet that current tests would back that up.

• 18thstreet - May 2, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Oh, please. Everyone is a suspect. I’m a Red Sox fan, and there’s plenty of doubt in my mind.

And I think it’s laughable when the fans of ANY team suggest that their team is the only clean one. It’s especially funny when Yankee fans do this (hello, A-Rod and Giambi and Clemens and … oh, never mind), but it’s laughable for any team’s fans to point fingers.

• historiophiliac - May 2, 2013 at 9:50 PM

As long as my team sucked, if they were cheating, I oughta kick their asses. They would’ve sucked at that too then.

8. Kevin Gillman - May 2, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I do disagree that the hitting streak continues from last season. IT’S LAST SEASON, it’s not this season. Let’s just say he has a 45 game hitting streak, and it’s in the record book for top five. Does that really count? I have heard other players get a hit on opening day, and the announcer tells us “So and so now has a 10 game hitting streak, dating back to last season”. It’s stupid, DiMaggio didn’t do that during his 57 games. He hit 57 games in one season. That’s the way it should be, so we don’t have to put an asteric next to it.

• jwbiii - May 2, 2013 at 4:22 PM

10.23 (b) CONSECUTIVE-GAME HITTING STREAKS.
      . . .
      A player’s individual consecutive-game hitting streak shall be determined by the
      consecutive games in which such player appears and is not determined by his
      club’s games.

Nothing about the end of a season terminating a hitting streak.

• MyNameIsWilliamBillForShort - May 2, 2013 at 9:47 PM

57? Really?

9. ras1tafari - May 2, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Can we start referring to him as Future Hall of Famer David Ortiz yet?

10. rickdobrydney - May 2, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Oh please—- Ortiz the Hall of Famer — How about The Hall of Cheaters ?? — I am a Yankee fan and I know full well some of my guys have cheated , but this clown is a relentless cheat. Getting his stuff from somewhere, presumably south of the border. And those 2004 and 2007 teams had cheaters in their 3rd spot and cleanup positions — Some things never change—-

• jwbiii - May 2, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I don’t think David Ortiz in a Hall of Famer. Edgar Martinez was better over the course of his career, mostly as a DH. If Martinez isn’t in, we shouldn’t be discussing Ortiz.

As for keeping PED users out of the HOF, it’s high time to kick this guy out, don’t you think?

11. 13arod - May 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM

doesn’t surpirise me im a yankee fan i like like this guy

12. onbucky96 - May 2, 2013 at 3:48 PM

When did Big Pappi go back on the juice?

13. tycobbfromfangraphs - May 2, 2013 at 3:50 PM

NBC Hardballtalk the haven of steroid apoligists.

14. tycobbfromfangraphs - May 2, 2013 at 3:50 PM

NBC Hardballtalk the haven of steroid apologists.

15. thebigtim2012 - May 2, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I would def give Papi a nod for the hall of fame. No a first ballot obviously, but between his stats and his intangibles as a club house leader I can see him there smiling. I am from Boston and have met David once and he wowed the heck out of me with his graciousness so I am biased but I think he gets in

16. insidefastball - May 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM

The biggest change I see in him this year is how he is hitting the ball to all fields. He is going the opposite way a lot and getting hits out of pitches that are either low, or outside.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3430)