May 2, 2013, 5:33 PM EST
Henderson Alvarez‘s recovery from shoulder inflammation has been shut down after the Marlins right-hander experienced more soreness.
Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that Alvarez’s recovery had advanced to facing hitters recently and the 23-year-old was nearing a minor-league rehab assignment, but now he’ll take the rest of the week off and be re-evaluated later.
Alvarez began the season on the disabled list after coming over from the Blue Jays in the offseason blockbuster trade. Last season in Toronto he started 31 games with a 4.85 ERA, but posted a terrible 79/54 K/BB ratio in 187 innings and allowed opponents to hit .290.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)