May 2, 2013, 5:33 PM EDT
Henderson Alvarez‘s recovery from shoulder inflammation has been shut down after the Marlins right-hander experienced more soreness.
Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that Alvarez’s recovery had advanced to facing hitters recently and the 23-year-old was nearing a minor-league rehab assignment, but now he’ll take the rest of the week off and be re-evaluated later.
Alvarez began the season on the disabled list after coming over from the Blue Jays in the offseason blockbuster trade. Last season in Toronto he started 31 games with a 4.85 ERA, but posted a terrible 79/54 K/BB ratio in 187 innings and allowed opponents to hit .290.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 55
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)