May 2, 2013, 5:33 PM EDT
Henderson Alvarez‘s recovery from shoulder inflammation has been shut down after the Marlins right-hander experienced more soreness.
Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that Alvarez’s recovery had advanced to facing hitters recently and the 23-year-old was nearing a minor-league rehab assignment, but now he’ll take the rest of the week off and be re-evaluated later.
Alvarez began the season on the disabled list after coming over from the Blue Jays in the offseason blockbuster trade. Last season in Toronto he started 31 games with a 4.85 ERA, but posted a terrible 79/54 K/BB ratio in 187 innings and allowed opponents to hit .290.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 1
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 33
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)