May 2, 2013, 5:33 PM EDT
Henderson Alvarez‘s recovery from shoulder inflammation has been shut down after the Marlins right-hander experienced more soreness.
Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that Alvarez’s recovery had advanced to facing hitters recently and the 23-year-old was nearing a minor-league rehab assignment, but now he’ll take the rest of the week off and be re-evaluated later.
Alvarez began the season on the disabled list after coming over from the Blue Jays in the offseason blockbuster trade. Last season in Toronto he started 31 games with a 4.85 ERA, but posted a terrible 79/54 K/BB ratio in 187 innings and allowed opponents to hit .290.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 59
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)