May 2, 2013, 7:19 PM EDT
The Indians announced this evening that they have claimed outfielder Ezequiel Carrera off waivers from the Phillies. Carrera went 1-for-13 in 13 games with Philadelphia prior to being designated for assignment earlier this week when Delmon Young was activated from the disabled list.
Of course, this will be Carrera’s second stint with the Indians. The 25-year-old batted .255/.306/.347 with two home runs, 25 RBI, 18 stolen bases and a .653 OPS in 116 games with the club from 2011-2012. The Indians lost him to the Phillies at the end of spring training after designating him for assignment, but he’s now back with the organization and will presumably function as a reserve outfielder.
In a corresponding roster move, the Indians have designated first baseman Michael McDade for assignment. The 23-year-old was hitting .230/.313/.284 with zero homers, seven RBI and a .597 OPS through 21 games this season with Triple-A Columbus.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)