May 2, 2013, 7:19 PM EDT
The Indians announced this evening that they have claimed outfielder Ezequiel Carrera off waivers from the Phillies. Carrera went 1-for-13 in 13 games with Philadelphia prior to being designated for assignment earlier this week when Delmon Young was activated from the disabled list.
Of course, this will be Carrera’s second stint with the Indians. The 25-year-old batted .255/.306/.347 with two home runs, 25 RBI, 18 stolen bases and a .653 OPS in 116 games with the club from 2011-2012. The Indians lost him to the Phillies at the end of spring training after designating him for assignment, but he’s now back with the organization and will presumably function as a reserve outfielder.
In a corresponding roster move, the Indians have designated first baseman Michael McDade for assignment. The 23-year-old was hitting .230/.313/.284 with zero homers, seven RBI and a .597 OPS through 21 games this season with Triple-A Columbus.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 22
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 21
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)