May 2, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
As expected Trevor Bauer’s latest call-up was short-lived, as the Indians demoted the top prospect back to Triple-A after he threw five shutout innings against the Phillies last night in a spot start.
Bauer was very tough to hit and flashed dominant raw stuff, but walked six of the 21 batters he faced and needed 93 pitches to record 15 outs. All of which is basically the story of his career at this point (along with rapping badly and the Diamondbacks souring on him almost immediately).
Bauer has held big-league hitters to a .185 batting average through six starts, racking up 24 strikeouts in 26.1 innings, but he’s also handed out 26 walks in those 26.1 frames. In the minors the former No. 3 overall pick has walked 4.1 per nine innings, including 41 walks in 100 innings at Triple-A. Bauer has No. 1 starter upside and plenty of time to reach it at age 22, but the inability to throw the ball over the plate is keeping him from sticking in the majors.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 21
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 120
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 130
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (130)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (122)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)