May 2, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
As expected Trevor Bauer’s latest call-up was short-lived, as the Indians demoted the top prospect back to Triple-A after he threw five shutout innings against the Phillies last night in a spot start.
Bauer was very tough to hit and flashed dominant raw stuff, but walked six of the 21 batters he faced and needed 93 pitches to record 15 outs. All of which is basically the story of his career at this point (along with rapping badly and the Diamondbacks souring on him almost immediately).
Bauer has held big-league hitters to a .185 batting average through six starts, racking up 24 strikeouts in 26.1 innings, but he’s also handed out 26 walks in those 26.1 frames. In the minors the former No. 3 overall pick has walked 4.1 per nine innings, including 41 walks in 100 innings at Triple-A. Bauer has No. 1 starter upside and plenty of time to reach it at age 22, but the inability to throw the ball over the plate is keeping him from sticking in the majors.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 0
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)