May 2, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
Hector Santiago was supposed to start in place of the injured Gavin Floyd tomorrow, but instead he’ll be needed tonight after the White Sox scratched Jake Peavy from his scheduled start with back spasms.
Peavy was off to a very strong start with a 3.38 ERA and 39/6 K/BB ratio in 32 innings, building on an excellent 2012 season that saw him stay healthy for the first time since 2007. And the good news is that his arm is fine.
Chicago declined its $22 million option on Peavy for this season and instead signed him to a new two-year, $29 million deal that includes a $15 million option for 2015.
- Report: Athletics working on a trade 13
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)