May 2, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Hector Santiago was supposed to start in place of the injured Gavin Floyd tomorrow, but instead he’ll be needed tonight after the White Sox scratched Jake Peavy from his scheduled start with back spasms.
Peavy was off to a very strong start with a 3.38 ERA and 39/6 K/BB ratio in 32 innings, building on an excellent 2012 season that saw him stay healthy for the first time since 2007. And the good news is that his arm is fine.
Chicago declined its $22 million option on Peavy for this season and instead signed him to a new two-year, $29 million deal that includes a $15 million option for 2015.
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 0
- Update: Luis Avilan loses Aaron Harang’s no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)