May 2, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Hector Santiago was supposed to start in place of the injured Gavin Floyd tomorrow, but instead he’ll be needed tonight after the White Sox scratched Jake Peavy from his scheduled start with back spasms.
Peavy was off to a very strong start with a 3.38 ERA and 39/6 K/BB ratio in 32 innings, building on an excellent 2012 season that saw him stay healthy for the first time since 2007. And the good news is that his arm is fine.
Chicago declined its $22 million option on Peavy for this season and instead signed him to a new two-year, $29 million deal that includes a $15 million option for 2015.
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 3
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 47
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 66
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (113)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)