May 2, 2013, 5:43 PM EST
Texas Rangers starting pitcher Justin Grimm has been voted American League Rookie of the Month for April. This marks the second consecutive April that a Ranger has garnered top rookie honors after teammate Yu Darvish won in April 2012. Grimm compiled a 2-0 record with a 1.59 ERA, 15 strikeouts and four walks in 17.0 innings over three starts. Justin was tied for first among A.L. rookie hurlers in wins and was fourth in innings pitched. Opponents batted just .239 against him.
Atlanta Braves catcher Evan Gattis has been voted the National League Rookie of the Month for the month of April. In 21 April contests, Gattis led Major League rookies with six home runs, 16 RBI, a .566 slugging percentage and 43 total bases while hitting .250 (19-for-76). The 26-year-old, who was selected by the Braves in the 23rd round of the 2010 First-Year Player Draft, ranked third among qualifying N.L. rookies in hitting, was tied for second with nine runs scored and was fourth in hits. Gattis led all rookies with a club-high five game-winning RBI in his first month in the Majors
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (98)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)