May 2, 2013, 5:12 PM EST
The press releases keep on coming:
New York Mets starting pitcher Matt Harvey has been voted National League Pitcher of the Month for the month of April. Harvey recorded four victories (4-0) in six April starts, tying him for first among N.L. pitchers. The young right-hander ranked among league leaders in nearly every pitching category. His 1.56 ERA (7 ER/40.1 IP) ranked third, his 46 strikeouts tied for fourth, and his 40.1 innings of work were the fifth-most by an N.L. hurler in the first full calendar month of the 2013 championship season.
Starting pitcher Clay Buchholz of the Boston Red Sox has been voted American League Pitcher of the Month for April. Buchholz compiled a perfect 5-0 record with a 1.19 ERA, 39 strikeouts and 13 walks in 37.2 innings pitched over five starts to help the Red Sox match the all-time Club record with 18 wins in April (also 1998 and 2003) and close out the inaugural month with the best record in the Majors at 18-8. This is Clay’s second career Pitcher of the Month Award, previously accomplishing the honor for August 2010.
Harvey is must-see viewing when he pitches. Just amazing stuff. Easily my favorite Met in many moons. Buchholz is reminding us that, for as bad that 2012 Sox were, it wasn’t like it was going to take massive miracles for them to bounce back. He has always been a guy capable of being this kind of ace. It was merely a matter of health and good fortune before it happened again like it did in 2010.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 170
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (172)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)