May 2, 2013, 5:12 PM EDT
The press releases keep on coming:
New York Mets starting pitcher Matt Harvey has been voted National League Pitcher of the Month for the month of April. Harvey recorded four victories (4-0) in six April starts, tying him for first among N.L. pitchers. The young right-hander ranked among league leaders in nearly every pitching category. His 1.56 ERA (7 ER/40.1 IP) ranked third, his 46 strikeouts tied for fourth, and his 40.1 innings of work were the fifth-most by an N.L. hurler in the first full calendar month of the 2013 championship season.
Starting pitcher Clay Buchholz of the Boston Red Sox has been voted American League Pitcher of the Month for April. Buchholz compiled a perfect 5-0 record with a 1.19 ERA, 39 strikeouts and 13 walks in 37.2 innings pitched over five starts to help the Red Sox match the all-time Club record with 18 wins in April (also 1998 and 2003) and close out the inaugural month with the best record in the Majors at 18-8. This is Clay’s second career Pitcher of the Month Award, previously accomplishing the honor for August 2010.
Harvey is must-see viewing when he pitches. Just amazing stuff. Easily my favorite Met in many moons. Buchholz is reminding us that, for as bad that 2012 Sox were, it wasn’t like it was going to take massive miracles for them to bounce back. He has always been a guy capable of being this kind of ace. It was merely a matter of health and good fortune before it happened again like it did in 2010.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)