May 2, 2013, 5:12 PM EDT
The press releases keep on coming:
New York Mets starting pitcher Matt Harvey has been voted National League Pitcher of the Month for the month of April. Harvey recorded four victories (4-0) in six April starts, tying him for first among N.L. pitchers. The young right-hander ranked among league leaders in nearly every pitching category. His 1.56 ERA (7 ER/40.1 IP) ranked third, his 46 strikeouts tied for fourth, and his 40.1 innings of work were the fifth-most by an N.L. hurler in the first full calendar month of the 2013 championship season.
Starting pitcher Clay Buchholz of the Boston Red Sox has been voted American League Pitcher of the Month for April. Buchholz compiled a perfect 5-0 record with a 1.19 ERA, 39 strikeouts and 13 walks in 37.2 innings pitched over five starts to help the Red Sox match the all-time Club record with 18 wins in April (also 1998 and 2003) and close out the inaugural month with the best record in the Majors at 18-8. This is Clay’s second career Pitcher of the Month Award, previously accomplishing the honor for August 2010.
Harvey is must-see viewing when he pitches. Just amazing stuff. Easily my favorite Met in many moons. Buchholz is reminding us that, for as bad that 2012 Sox were, it wasn’t like it was going to take massive miracles for them to bounce back. He has always been a guy capable of being this kind of ace. It was merely a matter of health and good fortune before it happened again like it did in 2010.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)