Michael Pineda tops out at 95 mph in extended spring training game

May 2, 2013, 8:26 PM EST

Michael Pineda AP

The Yankees still haven’t gotten anything out of right-hander Michael Pineda since he was acquired from the Mariners last offseason, but here’s an encouraging note to pass along regarding his rehab from shoulder surgery.

According to Chad Jennings of the Journal News, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said that Pineda sat at 93 mph and topped out at 95 mph during an outing in extended spring training today. That’s great news considering how he struggled with his velocity prior to his labrum surgery last May.

Cashman told Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York earlier this week that Pineda should be ready for a minor league rehab assignment this month. If all goes well, he could join the Yankees at some point in June.

Pineda, who turned 24 in January, had a 3.74 ERA and 173/55 K/BB ratio in 171 innings over 28 starts as a rookie with the Mariners in 2011. Shoulder injuries can be tricky, but he could provide a big boost to the Yankees’ rotation if healthy.

1. uyf1950 - May 2, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I like the way the Yankees have approached his rehab. They have not rushed him at all, when he’s ready he’s ready and that’s good. Hopefully he can keep up the good work he’s going to be a big part of the Yankees starting rotation future. And if he can get back to the way he was the first half of 2011 that would be great. I wish him the best.

• flamethrower101 - May 2, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Now if they could only diagnose the injuries properly in the first place we wouldn’t be in this situation.

2. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 2, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I think I just went from six to midnight…

3. tycobbfromfangraphs - May 2, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Meanwhile Jesus Montero has been a flop in Seattle. He wouldn’t be such a flop if he could actually catch, but he can’t, so he’s a below average DH at this point in his career.

• uyf1950 - May 2, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Just my opinion, but I think when all is said and done a lot of Yankees fans are going to be pleased with the trade Cashman made. Montero and Noesi for Pineda and Campos I know I will be.

• mentalotherhalf - May 3, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Agreed, uyf; agreed so hard. A muhuhahaha amount of agreement here.

4. yankeepunk3000 - May 2, 2013 at 9:54 PM

this to me is great news…Let him take his time he will only get Stronger and if he can get it up to 97 we just got a young ace in our rotation. The way were playing right now if they can hold up by the time June July comes around we might have Grandy, Jeter, Tex, and Pinieda back. That is a huge boost to this team. Everythings looking a lot better and hopefully Youk can be fully healthy by then. No one cares about A-rod…he will probally be suspended by then ha. Serously I dislike him very much.

• uyf1950 - May 2, 2013 at 10:46 PM

My friend, speak for yourself, please. I care and whether or not you like A-Rod, a healthy A-Rod makes the Yankees a better team and that’s all that matters to me.

• insidefastball - May 3, 2013 at 2:57 PM

ARod is done as a productive MLB player. His presence on the field over the last few years only hurt the Yankees and his never ending off the field problems simply create unnecessary distractions in the clubhouse. The Yanks would have been far better off had the they said “Thanks for everything” and ignored him after he opted out of his contract following the 2009 World Series. He is contributed nothing of value to the franchise since then.

• anxovies - May 3, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Agreed. Nix is doing real well at third but ARod plays a very, very good 3B and still has some pop in his bat, and is quite capable of a .280+ BA and a 15 HR year if he comes back OK at mid-season.

5. randygnyc - May 2, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Punk- I’ve said it all year that if the Yankees were around 10 games back by the AS break we’d be in good shape to make a playoff run once we got all our all stars back. With this start, the Yankees are in really good shape. 100 wins, anyone?

• uyf1950 - May 2, 2013 at 10:47 PM

I don’t think so. But I don’t see any reason they can’t match their 2012 total of 95. But that’s a long way off. One game at a time and the numbers will take care of themselves.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 3, 2013 at 12:16 AM

100 wins, anyone?

100 wins is rare, but winning 2/3 each series puts them on a great track. Others were complaining that it’s only April (now May), but those wins still count.

6. dirtyharry1971 - May 3, 2013 at 1:36 AM

This kid is gonna be a great one, proudly hammered this kid when he went down but trust me he will eat his words and everyone wil realize he is way way way better then anything thats come out of the bluejay farm system in the last 15 years. And dont comment and say he didnt come out of the Yanks farm, i know they traded for him and its going to be a game changer when this kid is back. Go Yanks, Hate the jays!!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester