May 2, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Remember Prime Minister Pete Nice? I do, because I’m old, but you should too because 3rd Bass was pretty awesome. Well, Nice’s real name is Pete Nash, and his gig these days is baseball memorabilia. I’ve read some stuff about him operating in this world and, like a lot of memorabilia dudes, he sounds pretty shady. He’s been in trouble for fraud and has lost lawsuits and all kinds of things. It’s an icky world and he sounds quite of it.
Murray Chass, a blogger, takes on Nash today. As far as the inspiration goes — Nash being crooked and Nash not being cool to other people in the industry — Chass has a pretty good point. Of course like anything else he does, Chass stretches the point in order to try to make some other, totally stupid point:
Known in his rapper days as Prime Minister Pete Nice, Peter Nash is known today as the epitome of what is primarily wrong with the Internet and blogs … They give Nash a free hand to do and say what he wants about whom he wants with no way of being stopped. Nash has a Web site, “Hauls of Shame,” which he uses to defame people. The Internet gives him that opportunity. Anybody can use the Internet for whatever purpose he wants. You don’t need a license. Just pay a few bucks a month, put a name on the site and you’re off and writing.
This from the guy who uses his blog to level unsubstantiated accusations of steroid use against ballplayers all the time.
Hey Murray: guess what? The law still applies to blogs. If Pete Nash defames someone, he’s just as liable for it as a newspaper writer might be. Really. I mean, I know you may think that’s not the case because you’ve never been sued for the nonsense you’ve blogged about, but that’s just because no one pays attention to you, not because the law doesn’t apply to you.
But that aside, let me know when your “people who write about things on the Internet should be forced to get a license” campaign goes.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)