Murray Chass gives Pete Nice the gas face, doesn’t understand how the law works

May 2, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT

Pete Nice

Remember Prime Minister Pete Nice? I do, because I’m old, but you should too because 3rd Bass was pretty awesome. Well, Nice’s real name is Pete Nash, and his gig these days is baseball memorabilia. I’ve read some stuff about him operating in this world and, like a lot of memorabilia dudes, he sounds pretty shady. He’s been in trouble for fraud and has lost lawsuits and all kinds of things. It’s an icky world and he sounds quite of it.

Murray Chass, a blogger, takes on Nash today. As far as the inspiration goes — Nash being crooked and Nash not being cool to other people in the industry — Chass has a pretty good point. Of course like anything else he does, Chass stretches the point in order to try to make some other, totally stupid point:

Known in his rapper days as Prime Minister Pete Nice, Peter Nash is known today as the epitome of what is primarily wrong with the Internet and blogs … They give Nash a free hand to do and say what he wants about whom he wants with no way of being stopped. Nash has a Web site, “Hauls of Shame,” which he uses to defame people. The Internet gives him that opportunity. Anybody can use the Internet for whatever purpose he wants. You don’t need a license. Just pay a few bucks a month, put a name on the site and you’re off and writing.

This from the guy who uses his blog to level unsubstantiated accusations of steroid use against ballplayers all the time.

Hey Murray: guess what? The law still applies to blogs. If Pete Nash defames someone, he’s just as liable for it as a newspaper writer might be. Really. I mean, I know you may think that’s not the case because you’ve never been sued for the nonsense you’ve blogged about, but that’s just because no one pays attention to you, not because the law doesn’t apply to you.

But that aside, let me know when your “people who write about things on the Internet should be forced to get a license” campaign goes.

1. mybrunoblog - May 2, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I’m pretty familiar with the memoribilia industry. Calcaterra is right. Lots of shady characters and fraud. There are however lots of good people who love sports and just collect stuff because it’s cool. That’s said the Hauls of Shame web site is pretty solid. If you don’t believe me go there and look at the research and work that goes into the Nash’s posts. He has uncovered lots of shady, dirty deals. He recently broke the Reggie Jackson world series jersey story( the jersey was found NOT to have been the jersey Jackson wore when he hit the 3 HRs)
    I don’t know what his motives are but the site has become a must read for the memoribilia community.

2. beearl - May 2, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I quickly scanned both Chass’ “article” and the post on Hauls of Shame that he referenced. One is filled with links to sources, quotes and documentation. The other, by the so-called journalist, is filled with crap. Pete Nice may very well be scum, but Chass is scum calling fellow scum black. How’s that glass house working for you, Murray?

3. shaggylocks - May 2, 2013 at 10:18 AM

The title of this post could have been so much better. “Murray Chass, reckless blogger, attacks reckless bloggers” or something like that. Really any link that promises to call Chass out as a ridiculous hypocrite is going to get plenty of clicks from me.

• shaggylocks - May 2, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Also, I should note that I don’t leave comments on blogs. I critically engage with the media.

• cur68 - May 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Yeah. Me too. That critical thing. Like, totally.

4. El Bravo - May 2, 2013 at 10:19 AM

“I mean, I know you may think that’s not the case because you’ve never been sued for the nonsense you’ve blogged about, but that’s just because no one pays attention to you, not because the law doesn’t apply to you.”

hmmmm, I smell irony.

5. Old Gator - May 2, 2013 at 10:23 AM

One of the advantages of encroaching senile dementia is that you can’t remember much, so, since you don’t recall of what it is that the memorabilia you’ve been offered is supposed to remind you, you don’t fall prey to these unscrupulous merchants.

Where am I?

• heyblueyoustink - May 2, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Macy’s? In the “Unmentionables Department”?

• Old Gator - May 2, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Macy’s.

Uh….

Hey, where’s my wallet?

6. realgone2 - May 2, 2013 at 10:31 AM

The only thing I remember about 3rd Base is that Henry Rollins played Vanilla Ice in their Pop Goes the Weasel video.

• digbysellers - May 2, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Wow, totally forgot that…good memory dude.

• El Bravo - May 2, 2013 at 10:43 AM

F yeah he did. Ahhh memories.

7. kranepool - May 2, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Pete Nash has back acne

• dowhatifeellike - May 2, 2013 at 10:49 AM

bacne.

• uwsptke - May 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Still waiting for Weird Al’s “Baby got Bacne”.

8. notoriousbri - May 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Pete Nice was “Sinister”

9. bg4866 - May 2, 2013 at 1:30 PM

The Rapmasters own shady dealings cost his own father his job after a 40yr career at a high school in Bklyn, his dad took 50k to help cover some of his sons shady behavior

10. tiz71 - May 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Murray Chass gets the gas face!!

11. stichey - May 2, 2013 at 3:08 PM

No need to wait for Weird Al to create “Baby Got Bacne,” as the Disney Channel (and Glee’s Jane Lynch) has already delivered this pun to (relatively) popular culture!

And yes, knowing things like this is the price I pay for having three non-baseball loving daughters… Heck, I can’t get my girls to visit a ballpark unless The Chicken is going to be there…

12. ghostfishhunter - May 2, 2013 at 11:13 PM

So is he the popped weasel in this situation or not?

Ace-killer Giants do it again