Quote of the Day: Cliff Lee says the Phillies need more pride

May 2, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT

Cliff Lee AP

Cliff Lee didn’t have a great game yesterday, but his teammates were pretty putrid for two days. Lee talks about it:

“It was never really close, either one of them. We have to have a little more pride than that and figure out a way to at least get back into games and make it somewhat competitive.”

Pride would be nice. Some bats, particularly in the outfield, would be better.

1. El Bravo - May 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM

But Craig, you can’t have a bat in the outfield, it’s against the rules.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - May 2, 2013 at 11:56 AM

BOOOOO-YAH!!

2. Old Gator - May 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I think being able to contrast themselves with the Feesh all weekend might help instill some.

3. Francisco (FC) - May 2, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Some bats, particularly in the outfield, would be better.

I fail to see how winged mammals in the baseball field can contribute.

• El Bravo - May 2, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I dunno FC, this guy could shag some balls pretty nicely me thinks: http://walllook.com/amazing_stuff/Mega-Bat.jpg

• DelawarePhilliesFan - May 2, 2013 at 11:59 AM

That was Craigs homage to Whitie, who famously said on air “I slept with a lot of old bats in my day” (he was talking about his superstition of sleeping with a Bat while on a hitting streak)

• huffdaddyco - May 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM

This reminds me of my favorite Whitey/Kalas moment from when I was a kid. I was watching a Phillies home game and whomever was pitching fired in a close pitch, called a ball. Over the broadcast you hear “That was a strike you short shit”. Silence from Whitey and Harry until Harry says “Whaddya say Rich?” Then another long silence. I laugh to this day thinking about it.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - May 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Yea, or when he would get into a zone of calling pitches “There’s one 12 inches outside for a called strike” or “Right down the middle for Ball 2″

• jwbiii - May 2, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Bats are outstanding flycatchers.

• Old Gator - May 2, 2013 at 4:12 PM

And their dung is loaded with nitrogen. Any farmers out there?

4. lewp - May 2, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I don’t understand how you can bat with a glove on your hand in the outfield. Plus, there is no plate.

5. zzalapski - May 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM

(@ 1:40)

If that’s what Lee has in mind, well, the Phillies would certainly win a lot more games, but how would they ambush a whole team like that?

6. randygnyc - May 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM

How about focusing on where it all begins? Starting pitching.
    Cliff’s wednesdays line 6i 9h 5r 4er 2bb 4so
    Roy’s Tuesdays line 3.2i 9h 8er 2bb 3so 3hr

That’s 40 million wasted dollars on 2 losers
    Cliff should stfu and pitch

• El Bravo - May 2, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Nah, I prefer they underperform. The world is better when the Phils stink. It’s in the Bible I believe.

• sabatimus - May 2, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I wouldn’t have had a problem if Lee straight-up said “None of our hitters hit in the last two games.” Because he’s right. By the way, I believe Lee also said “we” here, not excluding himself.

7. chill1184 - May 2, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Would Phillies pride be equivalent to Diamondbacks grit?

8. Kevin Gillman - May 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Yeah, let’s not give the Indians any credit here. I mean they ONLY scored 9 runs, and 11 runs respectively before they played the Phillies. They just are hitting the ball. Last night, the ball wasn’t hit hard, but it fell in the right places. This is a dnagerous lineup when things are going well.

9. captainwisdom8888 - May 2, 2013 at 12:27 PM

When I look around at the players on my Phillies team, I don’t see 1 single player whom we can build a team around for the future.

Not one.

10. schmedley69 - May 2, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Hey Cliff, maybe throw a shutout once in a while. Your salary accounts for a quarter of the payroll.

11. lewp - May 2, 2013 at 12:42 PM

But wait, you have Michael Young now.

• historiophiliac - May 2, 2013 at 1:36 PM

And, Delmon Young. If that pick up doesn’t say pride, I don’t know what will.

• xmatt0926x - May 2, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Duh…..Michael Young is good for “leadership”, not “pride”. Because you know, Young did agree to switch positions that time when he was with the Rangers….

12. nolanwiffle - May 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Well…..Curtis Pride is available, and would instantly become the Phillies best outfielder.

• lewp - May 2, 2013 at 12:52 PM

AND bring his own Pride…lolol

• historiophiliac - May 2, 2013 at 1:38 PM

• jwbiii - May 2, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Curtis Pride is otherwise employed.

That’s two Curtis Pride references in one day.

13. djpostl - May 2, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Somewhere Mark Grace is muttering something about bringing in a bus load of fat chicks….

14. mclovinhockey - May 2, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I want more “bats in the outfield” jokes.
    They made me smile, specially the one saying its illegal : )

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2963)