May 2, 2013, 6:09 PM EST
The Royals tried to sneak one in during a miserable day in Kansas City on Thursday, but they couldn’t make an official game of it. Play was halted after 3 1/2 innings with the Royals up 1-0 on the Rays, and the game was later postponed, with no makeup date announced.
Today was the last time the Rays were set to play in Kansas City this season, so both teams really wanted to get it in. As a result, the game started in the rain and continued even as conditions worsened. By the time the 4th rolled around, the field truly was unplayable, and not long after the game was delayed, the rain turned to snow.
The conditions factored into the lone run of the game. Alex Gordon was able to sneak a grounder by Ben Zobrist at second base to score Elliot Johnson in the third. It was a ball that Zobrist likely would have gotten to on a dry infield.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)