May 2, 2013, 6:09 PM EDT
The Royals tried to sneak one in during a miserable day in Kansas City on Thursday, but they couldn’t make an official game of it. Play was halted after 3 1/2 innings with the Royals up 1-0 on the Rays, and the game was later postponed, with no makeup date announced.
Today was the last time the Rays were set to play in Kansas City this season, so both teams really wanted to get it in. As a result, the game started in the rain and continued even as conditions worsened. By the time the 4th rolled around, the field truly was unplayable, and not long after the game was delayed, the rain turned to snow.
The conditions factored into the lone run of the game. Alex Gordon was able to sneak a grounder by Ben Zobrist at second base to score Elliot Johnson in the third. It was a ball that Zobrist likely would have gotten to on a dry infield.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 11
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 68
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 34
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 8
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (108)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)