May 2, 2013, 6:09 PM EDT
The Royals tried to sneak one in during a miserable day in Kansas City on Thursday, but they couldn’t make an official game of it. Play was halted after 3 1/2 innings with the Royals up 1-0 on the Rays, and the game was later postponed, with no makeup date announced.
Today was the last time the Rays were set to play in Kansas City this season, so both teams really wanted to get it in. As a result, the game started in the rain and continued even as conditions worsened. By the time the 4th rolled around, the field truly was unplayable, and not long after the game was delayed, the rain turned to snow.
The conditions factored into the lone run of the game. Alex Gordon was able to sneak a grounder by Ben Zobrist at second base to score Elliot Johnson in the third. It was a ball that Zobrist likely would have gotten to on a dry infield.
- John Mozeliak announces Matt Adams will miss 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 1
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 16
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)