So much for that: Chase Headley won’t negotiate with the Padres during the season

May 2, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT

Chase Headley Getty Getty Images

OK, now this is just awkward.

Padres executive chairman Ron Fowler said yesterday that he’s given general manager Josh Byrnes the go-ahead to re-start long-term contract negotiations with Chase Headley and is willing to make the third baseman “the highest-paid player in club history.”

It was a whole big story in San Diego today, with lots of quotes from Fowler and lots of speculation about the size of the contract. One problem? Headley has no interest in talking contract during the season.

Here’s what he told Corey Brock of MLB.com today:

We made it abundantly clear [before] that we didn’t want to talk about it during the season I didn’t think that for me and for the team that it was good to get caught up with all of this during the season. … It’s flattering they feel the way they feel about me. I love playing in San Diego, I love the fans. But I just don’t think now is the time to get involved with this. That’s it. If there’s an opportunity to engage after the season, so be it. I didn’t want to have to deal with the fallout I’m dealing with.

Headley is under team control via arbitration next season as well, but at that point he’ll be making over $10 million and will be just 162 games from hitting the open market as a free agent.

It’s like that old saying about relationships goes: “You can’t want it bad enough for both of us.” (I have no idea if that’s actually an old saying, but I vaguely remember hearing something along those lines once and it sort of applies here pretty well.)

1. Old Gator - May 2, 2013 at 3:10 PM

It certainly would have been an appropriate saying for my ex-wife, but then, she would have had no more idea of what the hell it meant than I do.

2. tycobbfromfangraphs - May 2, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Good as Gone
    One of MLB’s feeder teams has produced another gem and it’s time for him to get called up to one of the real clubs. Just like George Stainbrenner and every other person who never had baseball’s best interests in mind wanted.

• Old Gator - May 2, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Yeah, he’d be a perfect fit for the Angels.

• tycobbfromfangraphs - May 2, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I bet those Angels wish they didn’t sign Hambone and used the money to make a run at Headley.

You can insert Alberts name in there just as easy because Chase Headley will help contribute to more wins than either over the next 5 years.

• echech88 - May 2, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Except for the part about them having the worst farm system in MLB.

3. leaashlay1 - May 3, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I make $82h while I’m traveling the world. Last week I worked by my laptop in Rome, Monti Carlo and finally Paris…This week I’m back in the USA. All I do are easy tasks from this one cool site. check it out, http://www.wiki34.com

4. tfoltz - May 3, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I live in San Diego and follow the Padres. It’s not a big story and we don’t care if he signs or not. He certainly doesn’t deserve to be the highest paid in club history.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5561)