May 3, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT
Amidst all the clamor of Clay Buchholz‘s alleged indiscretion, former pitcher and current Toronto radio host Dirk Hayhurst accused Phillies pitcher Cliff Lee of using his hat to gain an unfair advantage:
Now I’m getting lambasted for calling this cheating; cheating when there is solid video evidence to support it.
Pitchers break the law, folks. Some do it in the accepted “it’s only five miles over the limit, officer,” way. Some have big enough names that they can get away with it even when it’s plain for all to see – Cliff Lee’s hat, anyone?
Asked to comment on the accusation, Lee responded, “Who’s Dirk Hayhurst?”
More, via High Cheese:
“That’s nothing,” Lee said of tugging on his hat bill in between pitches.
“That’s a completely inaccurate statement,” Lee said of Hayhurst’s accusation. “I’ll go get you my hat right now. I’ve been wearing the same hat for three years. It’s sweat and rosin.”
Sweat, of course, builds up on hats. Pitchers are permitted to use a rosin bag, of course, since it’s located behind the mound for their usage.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 35
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 87
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)