May 3, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Jose Contreras has successfully come back from Tommy John surgery at age 41.
Contreras blew out his elbow pitching for the Phillies last season, but decided not to call it quits and signed a minor-league deal with the Pirates. And after six appearances in the minors Pittsburgh has called him up while demoting Jared Hughes to Triple-A.
Hughes was very effective for the Pirates last season as a 26-year-old rookie, throwing 76 innings with a 2.85 ERA, but his secondary numbers were much less impressive and he struggled in 14 innings this year.
It’s hard to guess what Contreras has left in the tank at this point, but before the elbow surgery he was a solid setup man for the Phillies and posted a 3.74 ERA with 85 strikeouts in 85 innings from 2010-2012 while missing time with various injuries.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11