May 3, 2013, 9:46 AM EDT
Most folks who help create firestorms take a step back a day or two later and let the heat die down. Not Dirk Hayhurst:
Yesterday, aided by close-up video clearly showing Clay Buchholz going to his arm and wiping his fingers across a foreign-looking substance, I made the statement that he was cheating … I stand by that statement.
Furthermore, I don’t feel a damn bit sorry about it.
He goes on to explain how he’s happy Buchholz is, in his view anyway, cheating.
I don’t agree with Dirk in all of this. But man, I love that he’s willing to be a bad guy. Baseball needs more Bobby “The Brain” Heenans.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69