Dirk Hayhurst: In for a penny, in for a pound

May 3, 2013, 9:46 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2013-05-03 at 9.44.33 AM

Most folks who help create firestorms take a step back a day or two later and let the heat die down. Not Dirk Hayhurst:

Yesterday, aided by close-up video clearly showing Clay Buchholz going to his arm and wiping his fingers across a foreign-looking substance, I made the statement that he was cheating … I stand by that statement.

Furthermore, I don’t feel a damn bit sorry about it.

He goes on to explain how he’s happy Buchholz is, in his view anyway, cheating.

I don’t agree with Dirk in all of this. But man, I love that he’s willing to be a bad guy. Baseball needs more Bobby “The Brain” Heenans.

1. heyblueyoustink - May 3, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Hayhurst strikes me as more of a Jimmy Hart type, bullhorn and such.

2. soxfan34110 - May 3, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Enjoy your 5 minutes of fame Dirk!

• seattlej - May 3, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Five minutes? I think the Dirk Hayhurst fame is going on what? Three years? Four years?

• Uncle Charlie - May 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Never heard of him before this article, so yeah 5 minutes seems about right.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 3, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Then you missed out on two of the best recent baseball books, The Bullpen Gospels and Out of my League.

3. yahmule - May 3, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Do you have TP for my Buchholz?

4. soxfan34110 - May 3, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Huh, Blue Jay’s employees starting a rumor that an opponent is cheating in order to beat them while in the midst of a miserable and underperforming season is utterly shocking.

• Craig Calcaterra - May 3, 2013 at 10:24 AM

He’s not a Blue Jays employee.

• mlp3180 - May 3, 2013 at 10:44 AM

But he is an employee of Rogers, who own the Blue Jays.

5. randomdigits - May 3, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I guess his latest book isn’t selling.

6. jaysfan64 - May 3, 2013 at 10:23 AM

We miss Alan Ashby…

• josemartez - May 3, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Ashby was the best. The Astros are lucky to have him.

7. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 3, 2013 at 10:36 AM

This is the official thread of the “Thumbs Down” comments. Let’s set a record!!

• 18thstreet - May 3, 2013 at 10:49 AM

He saw what he saw, and he’s expressing an opinion. Really, as a fringe major leaguer, I’ll guess he’s got more expertise in the matter of doctoring baseballs than most people do.

I think it’s better that he’s not backing away.

I have no idea if Buchholz is cheating, and neither does anyone else.

8. hasbeen5 - May 3, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I enjoyed Hayhurst’s books. I do find Craig’s reaction to this interesting though. Someone brought it up in the other thread and then I used Rob Dibble as an example. If this had been Dibble or Delmon Young or someone who Craig obviously doesn’t like, would he be “willing to be the bad guy” or would be just be a moron who’s being stupid again? Just seems like Hayhurst has received Craig’s stamp of approval, so therefore he isn’t subject to the same type of criticism as someone else may be.

• yahmule - May 3, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I think genuinely impartial people are pretty rare. Craig is certainly not one of them. I don’t think it’s a trait common to sports fan.

• cur68 - May 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Dibble’s a jackass. A well known one. Hayhurst, on the other hand, is well known as an author, broadcaster, and respected for both. It doesn’t mean either can’t be right or wrong about a given topic, though. I’m failing to see where liking Hayhurst is colouring Craig’s thinking, here. Frankly, it IS possible to like someone but still think they are wrong about something and then NOT pen a vitriol laded piece against them, but merely disagree with them. Hayhurst’s logic is there for all to see, his credentials are as good as anyones, and shoot, Jack Frickin’ Morris agrees, too, so its not like Dibble and his half assed opinions at all.

Even still, I WATCHED Buchholtz pitch. He was all over the place when he was trying for the corners. And then, when his back was against the wall and he HAD to pour one down the middle, he did. And the Beaver Hitter just stood there and let the best pitch to hit go by. There was nothing tricky about it. Ball didn’t do anything it shouldn’t have. If anything, it barely moved around at all beyond going straight down the middle.

I would LOVE to pin cheating on Buchholtz and I would further love to back up a guy I like in Hayhurst, BUT I didn’t see evidence of a loaded ball at all. I saw evidence of clueless hitters and that’s about it.

• hasbeen5 - May 3, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Craig says he disagrees with Hayhurst here, I’m not disputing that. I’m questioning the characterization afterward. Take Dibble or any “known jackass” out of the equation. Let’s say someone that is not normally vocal in public, so that we may not have formed an opinion of him yet, made the same comment. Would it still be played off as a fun little exercise in embracing the wrong stance, or would the guy be an idiot. There was a lot of praise given to those books on this site, and there were a couple passages in there that made me think “Man, this sounds like something Craig would rip a guy for saying/doing.”

• cur68 - May 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Sure. I don’t disagree. If one dislikes Dibble for any number of good reasons, this sort of thing would be a good time to add a little gasoline to the fire. But if doesn’t dislike, even quite likes, Dirk Hayhurst, but disagrees in this case, then you might go easier on the overall characterization. Since this is a blog, and Craig’s under no real onus to be impartial, then why not do it this way? Most of us read his work because he tends to put to words our thoughts on the subject and he does a rather good job of that. Not in every case (his irrational take on Rush lyrics, for example) but often enough. That’s what you get in good blogs.

• hasbeen5 - May 3, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I guess, and this is completely inconsequential. Maybe this just piled on what I thought while reading the books, and it seemed like as good a place as any to post those thoughts. An example: The scene in the book on the bus where the guys try to get girls in passing cars to flash their boobs. He describes in detail a girl that had a pretty face, but turned out to be overweight. He talked about how they all wanted to puke and wished she hadn’t lifted her shirt. If I recall, it wasn’t something he simply witnessed, but was actively participating. I don’t see how that is so different than Escobar’s eye black or some other incidents that have been discussed here. Just noting the difference in reactions.

• 18thstreet - May 3, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I think discussions of Craig and his motivations are the least interesting comments on this blog.

9. kjericho43 - May 3, 2013 at 10:50 AM

This dude is getting way too much play. Eck is right: Buchholz paints. He’s having a great start to the season. Morris and Dirk have made this into a story because they have nothing else to talk about and their Jays suck. He touched his arm, its sweat….! Its rosin!! Neither are illegal substances. When Buchholz is pitching well in his next start and the opposing manager asks to see the ball just for shits and giggles, we will have Dirk and Jack to thank.

• stataz - May 3, 2013 at 10:58 AM

why isn’t anyone pointing out the fact that Buchholz wiped off his hand on his pants numerous times after he went to his mouth or arm and stepped off the mound in doing so. NESN showed the replay of it during the game last night.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 3, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Because that defeats the argument that this is only sour grapes by Jays announcers and/or fans.

• proudlycanadian - May 3, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Eck was never clean as a pitcher. He also cheated. In a conversation with Buck Martinez, last night Jack Morris stated that the great Oakland pitching staffs he faced (including Eck) scuffed balls and loaded them up with liquid foreign substances. Both Cito Gaston and Bobby Valentine have also accused Eck of scuffing baseballs. Back in 1988, there was TV evidence of Eck discarding an Emory board after Gaston complained to the umpire.

10. xpensivewinos - May 3, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Well, the Blue Jays have lost 18 other games in addition to the Buchholz game and are already 10.5 games back in the AL East and May has just begun.

Just curious…….did those 18 other pitchers cheat as well or are the Blue Jays just mind-numbingly awful? With the exception of a few home run spurts by Encarnacion and Arencibia, the Blue Jays hitters have been absolutely brutal with amazing consistency (with the exception of Reyes). Bonifacio, Lind, Rasmus, Bautista has become a caricature of himself, you name it…….they all suck. It’s a collection of random parts that has proven to be total crap.

Gibbons sits on the bench looking like he’s waiting to be put out of his misery……..again.

Losers find excuses and they need to start blaming someone because this train derailed quick.

• 18thstreet - May 3, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Did I miss the part where Hayhurst accuse all of them of cheating?

11. soxfan34110 - May 3, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Sorry Craig, but Jack Morris is a Jay’s employee and Hayhurst makes his living off of the Jays. You tell me the difference. Neither will come on Boston radio to explain their bogus “theories.” They are both scared of being questioned and having to defend their tactics.

12. Todd Boss - May 3, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Where there’s smoke, there’s usually fire. If you look at the video of last night’s game, Buckholz’s 94-mph fastball was moving like a circle change. And he has this weird stuff on his arm that doesn’t have an easy explanation (as discussed by Morris, Heyhurst, Neyer, et al in writings today).

$10 says his next start he a) has no glisten on his arm, and b) gets hit b/c his stuff doesn’t have the movement we saw last night.

13. portersquare - May 3, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Buchholz is one sweaty sweaty guy. it’s dripping off his hair, down his neck ,everywhere, yuck. But I’d be wiping my hands too. And instead of listening to all this garbage, I’d be getting a haircut.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate