May 3, 2013, 9:28 AM EDT
You gotta read Rob Neyer’s latest post. Short version: the Hall of Fame and the Taylor Hooton Foundation funded a survey about public perception of steroids as a national problem. Fine. Not sure why the Hall of Fame cares about such things, but it’s not my money funding it.
The kicker, though: the report on the survey is shocked that the public does not consider steroids to be anywhere near as big a threat to our nation’s youth as things like drinking, eating disorders, drugs, obesity and other things that, you know, ARE REALLY BIG PROBLEMS FOR OUR NATION’S YOUTH.
You can say it’s just a survey, but organizations do surveys and release reports like these for a reason. They want to publicize their cause and beat the drums for awareness and donations and things. And the people beating the drums in this case seem to truly believe that it’s wrong that people don’t think steroids are as big a problem for kids as other things. Which is insane.
Just remember that the next time you hear anything about steroids from either the Hall of Fame, the Hooton Foundation or writers citing them as sources when making anti-PED arguments. Their perspective is skewed. Irresponsibly so, I’d argue.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)