Johnny Cueto scratched from rehab start with oblique injury

May 3, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT

Cincinnati Reds v Pittsburgh Pirates Getty Images

Johnny Cueto‘s recovery from a strained lat muscle is on hold after the Reds right-hander complained of oblique muscle soreness before beginning a minor-league rehab assignment at Double-A today.

Cueto had to exit his NLDS start against the Giants in the first inning with an oblique injury, so while the setback isn’t related to his arm it’s still worrisome.

Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports that Cueto will be examined further Monday, so at the very least his rehab timetable has been pushed back a week or so and Tony Cingrani can get a little more comfortable in the Reds’ rotation.

1. brucewaynewins - May 3, 2013 at 12:49 PM

On the plus side this gives Cingrani more time to prove himself as someone who should be kept in the rotation and not the bullpen like they stupidly discussed or demoted back to Triple A. Give him Leake’s spot when Cueto comes back.

2. jm91rs - May 3, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I wonder if all of these strange injuries are a result of the crazy amount of twisting he does in that windup?

3. bengalsucker - May 3, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Where’s Old Gator at? Figured he’d already be in here explaining how happy he is that Cueto won’t be coming back yet to desecrate the godly pitcher’s mound just yet. Silly Cards fans. Still do nothing but whining as always.

• missingdiz - May 3, 2013 at 2:23 PM

As to whining: if you add up all of Cards fans’ whining about everything under the sun, it doesn’t amount to nearly as much as Reds fans’ whining about Dusty Baker.

• jm91rs - May 3, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Probably true.

• jm91rs - May 3, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I’m no fan of Gator’s constant complaining, but I’m pretty sure he loves it when Red’s fans get mad at him for his thoughts on Cueto. You just fed the beast by mentioning him here.

P.S. Pretty sure he’s not a Cards fan. You can get on Cards fans for whining, but it seems like most reasonable ones don’t bring up the Cueto thing much.

• jm91rs - May 3, 2013 at 3:03 PM

In fact, if I’m a Cards fan I have no reason to mention the brawl. I’d just bring up this stat…The Reds are 3-24-2 in series at St. Louis since 2003.

That makes me sick, they own the Reds in St. Louis

4. missingdiz - May 3, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Ordinarily, I don’t like to see players get hurt, even players for division rivals. But if Cueto’s arm falls off, I’ll feel great. If his head falls off, I’ll feel even better.

• jm91rs - May 3, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Pretty cool that someone being hurt makes you feel better.

• Old Gator - May 3, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Yeah, really. Everyone knows how little I think of Cueto as a human being – assuming, of course, they have the kind of sophisticated laboratory setup that would otherwise enable them to measure the diameter of a Higgs boson – but not once have I ever expressed any satisfaction at the injuries that ended his season early last year or the ones he’s dealt with this season. As I wrote earlier, karma does have a way of working itself out with sublime impersonality and I wouldn’t want to turn it against myself by wishing him harm. Wishing him justice – as in the kind of suspension and fine that he really deserved instead of the gutless tap on the wrist that Bud Light meted out to him – is something entirely else again.

• sniff0537 - May 3, 2013 at 4:08 PM

As a Reds fan, I can respect this opinion.

• Old Gator - May 3, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Thank you. And just to set the record straight for the umpteenth time, I am not a Cardinals fan. My south-of-negative opinion of Cueto is based on his behavior as an alleged person, and has nothing to do with the uniform he wears, and even less to do with the uniform LaRue was wearing at the time of Cueto’s vicious assault upon him. For another thing, I Cincinnati as a town – I generally spend the runup week to Christmas there to attend Over the Rhine’s annual holiday concert at the Taft and their holiday party at St. Elizabeth’s, gorge myself on Camp Washington chili and breakfast on fried eggs and goetta, wander Findlay’s Market and other Cincy stuff. I admire and respect the Reds’ long, long tradition of baseball excellence and think Cueto is a disgrace to a venerable uniform and franchise. If he were a Feesh, I doubt if I would be any less contemptuous of him, no matter how good he was at his job. This has nothing to do with team rivalries. This has to do with criminal behavior going effectively unpunished.

5. watchfullhose - May 3, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I wonder what kinds of injuries he would be having if the Reds had allowed him to play in the WBC

6. gloccamorra - May 3, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Isn’t an oblique strain even worse than a lat strain? Guys with obliques tend to take a month off, or more. On the bright side, by then his lat will be feeling fine.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3512)