May 3, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Johnny Cueto‘s recovery from a strained lat muscle is on hold after the Reds right-hander complained of oblique muscle soreness before beginning a minor-league rehab assignment at Double-A today.
Cueto had to exit his NLDS start against the Giants in the first inning with an oblique injury, so while the setback isn’t related to his arm it’s still worrisome.
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports that Cueto will be examined further Monday, so at the very least his rehab timetable has been pushed back a week or so and Tony Cingrani can get a little more comfortable in the Reds’ rotation.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 15
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59