May 3, 2013, 2:48 PM EST
In his place the Mets called up Andrew Brown, a 28-year-old journeyman who played 46 games for the Rockies last season. Brown is a corner outfielder, which means the Mets will be leaning on Jordany Valdespin and Juan Lagares in center field now that Cowgill is out of the picture.
Brown is somewhat intriguing in that he’s hit .305 with 46 homers and a .940 OPS in 260 games at Triple-A, although he’s played in extremely hitter-friendly environments and doesn’t control the strike zone very well.
Also: Insert your own joke about how the Mets didn’t need more Cowgill/cowbell, etc. after he hit just .157 in 19 games.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 85
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)