May 3, 2013, 2:48 PM EST
In his place the Mets called up Andrew Brown, a 28-year-old journeyman who played 46 games for the Rockies last season. Brown is a corner outfielder, which means the Mets will be leaning on Jordany Valdespin and Juan Lagares in center field now that Cowgill is out of the picture.
Brown is somewhat intriguing in that he’s hit .305 with 46 homers and a .940 OPS in 260 games at Triple-A, although he’s played in extremely hitter-friendly environments and doesn’t control the strike zone very well.
Also: Insert your own joke about how the Mets didn’t need more Cowgill/cowbell, etc. after he hit just .157 in 19 games.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)