May 3, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
In his place the Mets called up Andrew Brown, a 28-year-old journeyman who played 46 games for the Rockies last season. Brown is a corner outfielder, which means the Mets will be leaning on Jordany Valdespin and Juan Lagares in center field now that Cowgill is out of the picture.
Brown is somewhat intriguing in that he’s hit .305 with 46 homers and a .940 OPS in 260 games at Triple-A, although he’s played in extremely hitter-friendly environments and doesn’t control the strike zone very well.
Also: Insert your own joke about how the Mets didn’t need more Cowgill/cowbell, etc. after he hit just .157 in 19 games.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)