May 3, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT
It’s quite a cheatin’ day around baseball, so why not throw this one on the bonfire:
A corked bat reportedly swung by Yankees legend Mickey Mantle is hitting the auction block – the Mick’s first known doctored bat.
Grey Flannel Auctions is auctioning the Hillerich & Bradsby Co. bat, which was studied by PSA/DNA authenticator John Taube. Taube noticed alterations at the top of the bat’s barrel, and X-rays showed that the barrel had been drilled and filled with cork.
“This is the first corked bat of Mantle that we have seen or heard of,” Taube wrote in his report.
Don’t literally throw it on the bonfire, though. It’s a very valuable piece of baseball memorabilia.
Anyway, between this and Buchholz, I hope we’re all reminded that players have scuffed or cut balls, corked their bats, rigged up elaborate, electric sign-stealing mechanisms allowing them to win pennants they didn’t deserve, distracted umpires, cut corners on bases, tripped or obstructed opposing runners, sharpened their spikes, fixed baseball games and took steroids over the years. And while instances of such rule-breaking should always be punished when caught, the game has always survived it somehow, so we should probably moderate our outrage at any one instance.
- In progress: Mike Minor working on a no-hitter against the Reds 2
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 17
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 210
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (212)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)