Roy Halladay is not happy with Mitch Williams

May 3, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT

roy halladay long getty Getty Images

Since Roy Halladay started the 2012 season off with a whimper, he has heard theories on quick fixes from all corners of the globe. Bloggers (present company included), talk radio hosts, Internet commenters, and TV pundits have all speculated as to what went wrong with the two-time Cy Young award winner and how he can fix it.

MLB Network’s Mitch Williams has been among the more vocal critics of pitching coach Rich Dubee. Williams, who made a name for himself with uncanny mechanics as the Phillies’ closer between 1991-93, suggested Dubee should have seen Halladay’s mechanical flaws and that the Phillies ought to find a new pitching coach when he appeared on 94.1 WIP this morning, according to Todd Zolecki. When asked by the media to comment, Roy Halladay — normally reserved and succinct — had a lot to say about Williams.

“Coming from the mechanical wonder,” Halladay said. “Yeah, I strong disagree. To come from a guy who’s not around, who’s not involved. He’s not involved in the conversations … honestly has no idea what’s going on. He really doesn’t. He has no idea what’s going on in the clubhouse, on the field between coaches and players. To make comments like that, it’s completely out of line. It really is. Rich Dubee, when I first came over, he taught me a change up. If I hadn’t had that coming over here I wouldn’t have had the success I’ve had over here. Especially dealing with the injuries I’ve dealt with, if I didn’t have that pitch, if I didn’t have him working with me, I really would have been in a lot of trouble. In my opinion, it’s a statement that I feel like he needs to make amends for. I really do. There’s very few pitching coaches that I respect more than Rich Dubee.”

There’s a lot more if you head over to Zolecki’s post on MLB.com. Among other highlights, Halladay calls Williams “arrogant”. Dubee, who had gotten upset with Williams for interfering with his pitchers during spring training, suggests “maybe I hurt his feelings”.

This isn’t the first time Dubee has snapped at the media for wondering about Halladay. On April 21, he refused to speak to the media about Halladay’s improvement, telling them to “let Roy be Roy”.

Halladay’s 2013 season has been a mixed bag. In his first two starts, he allowed 12 runs in 7.1 innings. In his next three, he allowed four runs in 21 innings. In his latest start, he surrendered eight runs to the Indians in 3.2 innings.

1. randygnyc - May 3, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Roy, that uncomfortable poking feeling in your ribs is a fork. Mystery solved.

• dirtyharry1971 - May 4, 2013 at 2:43 AM

You are 100% correct on that statement but i read today where you said proudly and cur are two good contributors to this board?? Come on!!! For the love of GOD!!! Look cur sucks but if you wanna say he’s ok thats one thing but to stick up for proudly?? My GOD!! NO WAY!!! He does nothing more then waht i do but the difference between us is he tries and i dont.

• nbjays - May 4, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Ok, harry, time to put up or shut up.

In the time I have been on this board, I have seen NOTHING in any of your posts that could be construed as constructive, thoughtful or intelligent, something that the better posters on here (yes, Proudly and Cur are included in that group) accomplish on a regular basis. Instead, you come across as bitter, vindictive, arrogant and occasionally childish.

You think you are on a par with PC and Cur? Prove it! Come up with something thoughtful and constructive without the petty arrogance and incessant Jays-bashing (we get you don’t like them, now it’s getting old. Your penchant for sticking “Jays suck” posts in totally unrelated threads has gotten on the nerves of many posters.)

Personally, I don’t think you can do it, but I’d love to have you prove me wrong, if for no other reason that to improve the overall discourse on this board.

2. bigharold - May 3, 2013 at 7:39 PM

“…honestly has no idea what’s going on. He really doesn’t.”

Or, as I mentioned yesterday in another thread Mitch Williams doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground. But, hey, .. even dumb asses need to work.

3. chacochicken - May 3, 2013 at 7:39 PM

To be fair, Mitch Williams is a dumbass.

4. thomas844 - May 3, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Mitch Williams is the worst broadcaster on MLB Network by far. Good on Halladay for sticking up for his coach.

• xmatt0926x - May 3, 2013 at 9:10 PM

You obviously haven’t seen Harold Reynolds. Lucky you….

• badintent - May 4, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Is he still throwing phones ?

• moogro - May 4, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Mitch is the worst in terms of smug and stupid. At a basic level, Eric Byrnes struggles to think and speak.

5. badintent - May 3, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Mitch Willams has a problem………………..with…. Mitch Willams

6. greymares - May 3, 2013 at 9:03 PM

it’s hard to accept the opinion of any analyst or blog writers for that matter.

7. schmedley69 - May 3, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I heard the interview with Mitch this morning, and he sounded like he was drunk. But then again, he always sounds like that. He was totally out of line and it was obvious that he’s upset that Dubee yelled at him (“in front of other people”) and he is holding a grudge. Props to Roy Halladay for putting Mitch in his place. Just shut your hole, Mitch. The Phillies won a World Series with Dubee. Wish we could say the same about you.

8. dirtyharry1971 - May 4, 2013 at 2:44 AM

As for Roy boy, i hated this guy for years, i hope his legs grow together and he has to retired ASAP. And yes i hate the phillies too!!

• nbjays - May 4, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Is there anything or anyone you DON’T hate? Just curious…

• nbjays - May 4, 2013 at 10:00 AM

And what’s with the “legs growing together” thing, anyway? Sounds like you have a mermaid fetish or something.

9. drmonkeyarmy - May 4, 2013 at 4:01 AM

Haha….dirtyharry talking smack on Cur. That’s awesome. Words cannot describe the incredible irony of that. I was grumpy because I have to be up so early, but that will make me laugh for hours.

• cur68 - May 4, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Laugh it up, fuzzball.

10. sfm073 - May 4, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Pretty low to suggest someone should lose their job for something like that. Roy is right, Mitch needs to apologize.

11. nbjays - May 4, 2013 at 9:58 AM

“Coming from the mechanical wonder.”

Bwahahahahahaha! Love it!

Great of Doc to come to the defense of his pitching coach against a bitter has-been like Williams.

12. ILoveBaseball - May 4, 2013 at 4:47 PM

A pitcher with Williams’ performance would not make a major league roster today. In his best year his BB/IP was 5.7. For his career it was 7.1. I believe this qualifies him to identify what makes a bad pitcher but not what makes a good one. And as an analyst …………………….. he makes me want to change the channel.

13. mickmars - May 5, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Hey Mitch. Did that meatball you served up to Joe Carter back in 93 ever land yet? Frickin’ slapdick…..

Three legends off to Cooperstown