May 3, 2013, 9:55 PM EST
It’s been a rough couple of weeks for the New York Mets. They ended a six-game losing skid on Wednesday with a 7-6 victory over the Marlins, and are 4-11 over their last 15 games. As is customary, speculation pertaining to the Mets manager’s eventual ouster began to circulate through the media.
GM Sandy Alderson put the rumors to rest today, though, reinforcing his support of Collins, at least through the end of the season. Via ESPN’s Adam Rubin:
“He came into the season without a contract for next year and may not have one for next year through this season. But as I’ve told him and said before: This isn’t just about wins and losses. It’s about how we approach the game and fully taking into account what he has to work with.
“We talk from time to time and the [job status] subject comes up. I’m not trying to avoid the topic. It’s status quo. You go through a tough week and people like to immediately jump to conclusions and start discussing a doomsday scenario. A good first week isn’t necessarily any more of an indication than a bad fourth week.”
Since taking over as manager of the Mets in 2011, Collins has led them to 162 wins and 188 losses (.463).
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (129)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)