May 3, 2013, 9:55 PM EST
It’s been a rough couple of weeks for the New York Mets. They ended a six-game losing skid on Wednesday with a 7-6 victory over the Marlins, and are 4-11 over their last 15 games. As is customary, speculation pertaining to the Mets manager’s eventual ouster began to circulate through the media.
GM Sandy Alderson put the rumors to rest today, though, reinforcing his support of Collins, at least through the end of the season. Via ESPN’s Adam Rubin:
“He came into the season without a contract for next year and may not have one for next year through this season. But as I’ve told him and said before: This isn’t just about wins and losses. It’s about how we approach the game and fully taking into account what he has to work with.
“We talk from time to time and the [job status] subject comes up. I’m not trying to avoid the topic. It’s status quo. You go through a tough week and people like to immediately jump to conclusions and start discussing a doomsday scenario. A good first week isn’t necessarily any more of an indication than a bad fourth week.”
Since taking over as manager of the Mets in 2011, Collins has led them to 162 wins and 188 losses (.463).
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)