May 3, 2013, 9:55 PM EDT
It’s been a rough couple of weeks for the New York Mets. They ended a six-game losing skid on Wednesday with a 7-6 victory over the Marlins, and are 4-11 over their last 15 games. As is customary, speculation pertaining to the Mets manager’s eventual ouster began to circulate through the media.
GM Sandy Alderson put the rumors to rest today, though, reinforcing his support of Collins, at least through the end of the season. Via ESPN’s Adam Rubin:
“He came into the season without a contract for next year and may not have one for next year through this season. But as I’ve told him and said before: This isn’t just about wins and losses. It’s about how we approach the game and fully taking into account what he has to work with.
“We talk from time to time and the [job status] subject comes up. I’m not trying to avoid the topic. It’s status quo. You go through a tough week and people like to immediately jump to conclusions and start discussing a doomsday scenario. A good first week isn’t necessarily any more of an indication than a bad fourth week.”
Since taking over as manager of the Mets in 2011, Collins has led them to 162 wins and 188 losses (.463).
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 20
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 17
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 43
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 33
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)