May 3, 2013, 9:55 PM EDT
It’s been a rough couple of weeks for the New York Mets. They ended a six-game losing skid on Wednesday with a 7-6 victory over the Marlins, and are 4-11 over their last 15 games. As is customary, speculation pertaining to the Mets manager’s eventual ouster began to circulate through the media.
GM Sandy Alderson put the rumors to rest today, though, reinforcing his support of Collins, at least through the end of the season. Via ESPN’s Adam Rubin:
“He came into the season without a contract for next year and may not have one for next year through this season. But as I’ve told him and said before: This isn’t just about wins and losses. It’s about how we approach the game and fully taking into account what he has to work with.
“We talk from time to time and the [job status] subject comes up. I’m not trying to avoid the topic. It’s status quo. You go through a tough week and people like to immediately jump to conclusions and start discussing a doomsday scenario. A good first week isn’t necessarily any more of an indication than a bad fourth week.”
Since taking over as manager of the Mets in 2011, Collins has led them to 162 wins and 188 losses (.463).
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 10
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 31
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)