May 3, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Shane Victorino managed to avoid the disabled list and has rejoined the Red Sox’s lineup after sitting out the past seven games with a back injury.
Victorino is batting second and playing right field, where Daniel Nava has been the everyday fill-in. Nava has played so well while hitting .298 with a .932 OPS in 24 games overall that the Red Sox will no doubt want to find him regular at-bats, but for tonight at least the switch-hitter is sitting against left-hander Derek Holland in favor of Victorino and Jonny Gomes.
Victorino hadn’t shown much power before the injury, but was hitting .292 with a .358 on-base percentage in 19 games.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)