May 3, 2013, 4:16 PM EST
Shane Victorino managed to avoid the disabled list and has rejoined the Red Sox’s lineup after sitting out the past seven games with a back injury.
Victorino is batting second and playing right field, where Daniel Nava has been the everyday fill-in. Nava has played so well while hitting .298 with a .932 OPS in 24 games overall that the Red Sox will no doubt want to find him regular at-bats, but for tonight at least the switch-hitter is sitting against left-hander Derek Holland in favor of Victorino and Jonny Gomes.
Victorino hadn’t shown much power before the injury, but was hitting .292 with a .358 on-base percentage in 19 games.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (125)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)