May 3, 2013, 9:59 AM EDT
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com writes that the Phillies have made “multiple inquiries” about the availability of Giancarlo Stanton and have let the Marlins know that if and when he does go on the block, they want to be the first ones called.
Which, great, but given that the Phillies’ farm system is thin on blue chippers and the Marlins may not want to see Stanton 19 times a year for the next several years, I’m having a hard time seeing that ever going down, even if he does become available.
That aside, Salisbury previews what a coming Phillies fire sale could look like in the likely condition that they are out of contention come July.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 133
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 355
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)