May 3, 2013, 9:59 AM EDT
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com writes that the Phillies have made “multiple inquiries” about the availability of Giancarlo Stanton and have let the Marlins know that if and when he does go on the block, they want to be the first ones called.
Which, great, but given that the Phillies’ farm system is thin on blue chippers and the Marlins may not want to see Stanton 19 times a year for the next several years, I’m having a hard time seeing that ever going down, even if he does become available.
That aside, Salisbury previews what a coming Phillies fire sale could look like in the likely condition that they are out of contention come July.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)