May 4, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
Brian McCann will play in the first half of tomorrow’s double-header between Triple-A Gwinnett and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. The Braves catcher has been recovering from a surgically-repaired right shoulder. If all goes according to plan, McCann could join the Braves on Monday as they begin a three-game set in Cincinnati against the Reds, suggests Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez saw McCann catch the first three innings for Gwinnett Thursday night on TV and liked what he saw, as did his predecessor and now consultant Bobby Cox, who watched McCann catch in Rome on Wednesday.
“(Cox) said he looks great,” Gonzalez said. “He told me if something happened to one of our catchers he could cut the rehab short and come up. He felt that good.”
It is still unclear how the Braves will manage the roster to make room for McCann. It was suggested last week that catcher Evan Gattis could remain on the roster even behind back-up catcher Gerald Laird.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 20
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 76
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)