May 4, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
Brian McCann will play in the first half of tomorrow’s double-header between Triple-A Gwinnett and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. The Braves catcher has been recovering from a surgically-repaired right shoulder. If all goes according to plan, McCann could join the Braves on Monday as they begin a three-game set in Cincinnati against the Reds, suggests Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez saw McCann catch the first three innings for Gwinnett Thursday night on TV and liked what he saw, as did his predecessor and now consultant Bobby Cox, who watched McCann catch in Rome on Wednesday.
“(Cox) said he looks great,” Gonzalez said. “He told me if something happened to one of our catchers he could cut the rehab short and come up. He felt that good.”
It is still unclear how the Braves will manage the roster to make room for McCann. It was suggested last week that catcher Evan Gattis could remain on the roster even behind back-up catcher Gerald Laird.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)